Countdown to Baby Chicks 2023 edition

Pics
In addition to brittle feathering, double-frizzle-gene 'frazzles' also have enlargement of the heart, rapid heartbeat, and malformation of adrenal and thyroid glands, all likely caused by the higher metabolism that these birds have and generally leading to shortened lifespans compared to even single-frizzle-gene birds. It's really, really not great to breed two frizzles together.

Terribly sorry to hear that! :hugs I know it's not the same, but I'm sure there will be many pictures to come for you to enjoy even if you aren't able to get chicks of your own.
I do so love the pics of the babies!!

Yay, so glad they all made it! Did you order any particular colors?
nope , from hoovers the Americanas are just a mix of colors. they are the traditional type of easter egger beards, muffs and a range of colored eggs.

the ones they label as easter Eggers are the new type I can figure out the spelling of lol grunnlegger or something like that. they are a leg bar mix with the Karen hairdo. not my cup of tea.

nope , from hoovers the Americanas are just a mix of colors. they are the traditional type of easter egger beards, muffs and a range of colored eggs.

the ones they label as easter Eggers are the new type I can figure out the spelling of lol grunnlegger or something like that. they are a leg bar mix with the Karen hairdo. not my cup of tea.
Not mine either, I like the beards and muffs also. I’d really like to have an Nn with a beard and muffs, but I’m not hatching any time soon.

I got em!

they didn't make it on the truck from the distribution center to my little local post office, so I had to make the drive to the big city to get them before work.

everyone survived transit!

after a little fiddling with the height of the heat light to get them comfy I went to work. my partner sent me a few videos confirming that I got it right lol

they are eating and drinking and seem happy

10 Americanas from hoovers. there is a bit of variation in fluff color which I am very happy about.

this is my first time raising this many chicks as well as ordering online, and these little girls are HUNGRY! eating and pooping up a storm lol

I strongly recommend against mating a frizzle to a frizzle. The description below is borrowed from the Meyer Hatchery website so I don't have to type out a full explanation myself :) .

The gene responsible for frizzling is dominant, meaning that it “covers up” the normal feathering gene. A chicken with a frizzle presentation will have a frizzle gene and a normal gene, one from each parent. A cross of two frizzled birds should result in the following:

• 25% of the chicks will have two genes for normal feathering
  • 25% of the chicks will have a double frizzle gene and will have "frazzled" feathering
  • 50% of the chicks will have a frizzle gene and a normal gene and will be frizzled
The problem with frizzling happens when two frizzle chickens are mated. Their offspring may have a chance of receiving two copies of the frizzle gene, and chicks with a double copy have feathers that are fragile and break very easily, which isn’t very pretty to look at and isn’t safe or healthy for the chick to grow up completely naked.

Therefore, to help ensure we don’t produce these “double copy” frizzled chicks, half of the parents are normally feathered, and the other half are frizzled. That cross should produce the following:

• 50% of the chicks have one frizzle and one normal gene and frizzled feathering
  • 50% of the chicks have two normal genes and normal feathering
That’s why it’s important to not breed two frizzles together to avoid producing the double copy chicks.

https://meyerhatchery.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019286651
Hello, yes, I learned the above from being a member here. With all the chickens that we have the chances of that happening I am thinking would be slim. I also kinda wonder if that lil Flippy could even reach the vent of the big girls that tower over him (do you know the answer to that?). Actually, that answer would inform some other things as well.

I've had Runner ducks for a number of years and am now adding a few chickens. I just ordered from McMurray, due the week of May 15. Bielefelder, Black Star and Buff Rock, all females. Breed selection was limited for the time frame I wanted. I ordered the minimum 15 so will have to sell some to keep our flock small. They'll be vaccinated for Mareks, just to be safe, and it didn't cost much. But I chose not to get the Coccidiosis vax. Should I change that? Chickens are new to me. Trying to figure things out as I go.

I've had Runner ducks for a number of years and am now adding a few chickens. I just ordered from McMurray, due the week of May 15. Bielefelder, Black Star and Buff Rock, all females. Breed selection was limited for the time frame I wanted. I ordered the minimum 15 so will have to sell some to keep our flock small. They'll be vaccinated for Mareks, just to be safe, and it didn't cost much. But I chose not to get the Coccidiosis vax. Should I change that? Chickens are new to me. Trying to figure things out as I go.
I’ve never vaccinated my chicks. Just have Corid on hand in case you need it!

Back
Top Bottom