Countdown to Baby Chicks 2023 edition

Pics
I also have never vaccinated my chicks nor do I use medicated feed, but there's nothing wrong with feeding them on medicated starter if you're nervous about it. Just make sure to follow the label instructions and switch them off of it when it says to!

I have found that it's more effective to expose them to a small amount of soil from around where their coop will be and let them gain immunity naturally, personally. Just take a plug of soil, as dry as possible, and either sprinkle it in their bedding or leave it as a chunk in the brooder and let them peck at it as they please. I do this at ~1-2 weeks of age, once I'm sure they're on their feet and a little more sturdy than right after hatch, and then give them about a week after exposure before adding any more soil to the brooder or putting them out on the ground.

I also have never vaccinated my chicks nor do I use medicated feed, but there's nothing wrong with feeding them on medicated starter if you're nervous about it. Just make sure to follow the label instructions and switch them off of it when it says to!

I have found that it's more effective to expose them to a small amount of soil from around where their coop will be and let them gain immunity naturally, personally. Just take a plug of soil, as dry as possible, and either sprinkle it in their bedding or leave it as a chunk in the brooder and let them peck at it as they please. I do this at ~1-2 weeks of age, once I'm sure they're on their feet and a little more sturdy than right after hatch, and then give them about a week after exposure before adding any more soil to the brooder or putting them out on the ground.
Thanks. I like the idea of inoculating them naturally.

I've had Runner ducks for a number of years and am now adding a few chickens. I just ordered from McMurray, due the week of May 15. Bielefelder, Black Star and Buff Rock, all females. Breed selection was limited for the time frame I wanted. I ordered the minimum 15 so will have to sell some to keep our flock small. They'll be vaccinated for Mareks, just to be safe, and it didn't cost much. But I chose not to get the Coccidiosis vax. Should I change that? Chickens are new to me. Trying to figure things out as I go.
In my opinion it’s best not to do either.

Giving your chicks a small amount of soil and/or grass from your yard a couple of days after you get them will expose them to whatever is in your dirt and they’ll begin to build immunity naturally. Have corid on hand just in case in you feel it’s necessary.

The Marek’s vaccine does not prevent your flock from getting the disease, it only masks the symptoms. Your flock can have it and shed it but you may not know it. Not trying to scare anyone, just giving facts.

Good luck with your new babies. Runners are THE BEST EVER!

I sell started pullets. In a normal year, I sell 100+ but with the current egg situation I'm thinking that I should double my numbers.
Right now I have 2 orders in at Privett (closest hatchery). All good starter chickens. Easter eggers, olive eggers, lavender Orpington, Barnevelder, silver leghorn, black Australorp and assorted Wyandotte and marans. I just added an Ideal order of Russian orloff, Brabanter (my 2 favorites) and assorted P rocks. I plan on keeping 6-8 whichever are the "leftovers".
They will start showing up in 3 weeks. I like have them ready to sell in April/May as people are just starting to add chicks.

Right now I have 2 orders in at Privett (closest hatchery).
I love Privett! And I'm way far away from them in Oregon. But you know if something works you stick with it. I have always gotten healthy great chicks from them. Sexed correctly, vaccinated, everything that meets my standards and I have indeed gone through some nightmare stuff with other hatchery's since discovering Privett about 7 years ago. If I can't order enough for the minimum then I go to a feed store not terribly far from (I drive right on by the TSC that is closer,) that uses Privett! This year I've ordered Lavender Orpington's, Cukoo Maran's and Creme Legbar. So far I have gotten Blue Laced Barnevelder, Black Copper Marans, Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, BO, RIR, Barred Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Welsummer's from Privett as well as the 3 breeds I'm getting this year.

20230125_200050.png
I have 2 wyandottes and an olive eggers coming!

Back
Top Bottom