County wants me to remove my ducks

i might be wrong but if they sleep indoors then they aren’t considered outdoor “livestock” right? so they wouldn’t be able to take them away since they are “indoor” pets
I believe that is correct, although I definitely need to build a completely predator proof outdoor run at some point just so I can work more, and potentially go on vacation at some point in the future. If they were to not allow me to build a run of some sort I don't know how I would ever get anything done. I suppose we shall see when I call tomorrow.

I believe it is just owned by the county, not sure of any boards or councils.
Hmm. If your county has a planning department or anything similar, I would call and get them to clearly walk you through how the residential zoning applies to unincorporated areas and then how it specifically relates to keeping three pet ducks. If they aren’t able to answer that—great—and if they are, at least you’ll know exactly what regulations you’re dealing with.

*edit—just saw that you’re already planning to call. Good luck!

The age old saying "If you want respect, you must give respect.".. in other words, it's best to be calm and civil about everything and ot will get you farther. Keep it peaceful. It is very important, before acquiring any animals, to go directly to city hall and ask for copies of any ordinances pertaining to whatever you plan on getting or doing. Doing this would have prevented any issues now. Don't be to frustrated with the city, as they are only doing their jobs. If they conducted a field inspection, it was brought to their attention through complaints first. Again, they're only doing their jobs. Request the copies of the ordinances and request a meeting to see if they will work with you or what you need to do to avoid violations of the ordinances. If they say strict dimensions, your best bet is to downsize to those dimensions. Are the number of ducks also the problem? Their enclosures? Their being? Its not right to justify breaking the law on our mental illnesses. I whole heartedly understand you love your ducks and they very well may be your emotional support, but that still doesn't mean you are in the wrong here and that the city has every justifiable right to take action. 9 times out of 10 though they will work with you in a civil manor to satisfy both parties, if done so politely.

I agree that calm and civil is the best approach. But you're still dealing with bureaucrats so document everything. Get them to send it to you in writing if you can. If they won't, write a letter to them and send it certified mail. Outline what you were told and by whom and ask them to confirm it in writing or correct any errors. If they tell you something is mandated by statute or ordinance, make them specify which statute or ordinance they are referencing. Keep copies of all correspondence and keep a calendar that documents when and where everything happened. And find out when and how they did their "inspection". They aren't allowed to trespass and since you weren't aware of the inspection ask them to explain who did it, when, and what the methodology was. If you ever need to get a lawyer involved you're going to want to give him as much detail about what the county has done and how they justified it as you can. Don't trust the county to do the right thing. And document anything they agree to do or threaten you with.

Good luck.

In my experience, being polite, and asking how you can come into compliance, goes a long way. In thinking about it, if you can't have a coop outside, and you get rid of it and put them in a cage in the basement. That gets rid of the coop idea. Then put up a fence or visual blocker. If you have a dog, all the better. Keep him in back. You could order duck diapers. Is there a law saying they can't be in the house? If they ARE, who would know?

Sorry, I have no sympathy for nosy neighbors who have nothing better to do that pick on other neighbors. I'd never give up, even if I had to board the ducks elsewhere and bring them to the house everyday LMBO

After looking into the laws it seems that there is regulations on coops for fowl, and they aren't allowed to be over 6 feet tall for whatever reason...... Mine is 8 or 9 feet tall because I wanted it big enough for me to walk into and clean, but I will probably have to make adjustments to make it cooperative with the code.

Before you make any modifications to your existing setup, I would talk to the county and find out exactly what ordinance(s) you are in violation of and if the violation(s) can be corrected. I would bet that the county people don't want to be spending time on this dispute and if there is a simple way to come into compliance, then I think that would be the best way forward.

I understand the whole emotional animal issue, but do you really want to fight with the county on this? I hope you can find a solution before going down that road. My guess is that if you pursue that path, the county may come back with new ordinances until they wear you down. After all, I don't think you can bring your support pig on airline flights anymore....

Finally, if you are able to move, and if you have to move to keep your ducks, then maybe you would be happier elsewhere without all those ordinances. I know I have seen a number of stories of long time chicken owners who found out that town grew up around them and they could no longer have animals on their "residential" property.

To that extreme, I have a family member that has literally the last house on the town limit lines. She cannot have chickens, if she wanted. But the very next house could have a commercial chicken operation if they wanted. My brother-in-law gets upset that if he does not move a vehicle in his garage driveway every 3 days, he can get a citation. However, the neighbor on the other side of the line can have five broken down cars in his driveway and nobody can touch him. Having said that, I know in a few years the town will push out the lines and lots of new houses will then fall under the town ordinances.

I believe that is correct, although I definitely need to build a completely predator proof outdoor run at some point just so I can work more, and potentially go on vacation at some point in the future. If they were to not allow me to build a run of some sort I don't know how I would ever get anything done. I suppose we shall see when I call tomorrow.
Im so sorry to hear all this. Hopefully there is a good resolution. You ducks are lovely, and your videos of them are so precious. They look well loved and clean.

Being in an unincorporated area and this happening is odd. Many move to unincorporated areas because there’s too much government in our lIves, and you have more freedoms In such locations. There’s a lot more to fix in this world than a bunch of happy ducks that none of the neighbors complain about.

Back
Top Bottom