Coup Update!

Soujrnr

Songster
Feb 18, 2023
Kingsport, Tennessee
We've had so much rain here, so I decided to put a roof over the run to keep the pine shavings dry for the girls. It's almost done. I finished up the roof joists for the most part today. I need to add a few stabilizers between them, but other than that, it's pert near ready for the corrugated roof panels! This way, the girls can stay dry in the rain and the pine shavings will be dry as well.

20230913_133321.jpg

20230913_141937.jpg

I am moderately concerned.

Your roof add on has the short boards only supported by the screws holding them to the top cross board.
With no post supporting them you are trusting the strength of the screws to hold the roof and whatever load is added by snow, rain etc.

I realize you may not get much/any snow in Tennessee. Wind is also a reason to better support it.

I suggest adding to the top of your posts so they support the roof.

I am moderately concerned.

Your roof add on has the short boards only supported by the screws holding them to the top cross board.
With no post supporting them you are trusting the strength of the screws to hold the roof and whatever load is added by snow, rain etc.

I realize you may not get much/any snow in Tennessee. Wind is also a reason to better support it.
Let me explain a bit how I set this up. There are three 3" screws holding the small boards to the cross member. The 2x4s spanning the width are set up at about 15 degrees, so the rain won't accumulate. We don't get snow here, save for maybe an inch once in a while. The corrugated roofing panels are also not heavy at all, so the load bearing upon the three screws is minimal.

I did give consideration to the loading when I started building it and given our particular weather here, I didn't see a need for a tremendous amount of support for the roofing panels. As for the wind, the coop is quite well-protected from it due to it's proximity to the tall woods next to it. Even when we had very high winds a few weeks ago, nothing in or around the coop was affected. My Big Foot cutout was blown over, but it's not secured to anything, and a couple plastic chairs were knocked over, but that's it. The winds were high enough to warrant a tornado warning too, so it was a good test of the coop.

I will be looking at it more closely once it's complete to see if it needs to be shored up anywhere, but so far, it's very strong. :)

Thanks for your concern!! I really appreciate it!!

Let me explain a bit how I set this up. There are three 3" screws holding the small boards to the cross member. The 2x4s spanning the width are set up at about 15 degrees, so the rain won't accumulate. We don't get snow here, save for maybe an inch once in a while. The corrugated roofing panels are also not heavy at all, so the load bearing upon the three screws is minimal.

I did give consideration to the loading when I started building it and given our particular weather here, I didn't see a need for a tremendous amount of support for the roofing panels. As for the wind, the coop is quite well-protected from it due to it's proximity to the tall woods next to it. Even when we had very high winds a few weeks ago, nothing in or around the coop was affected. My Big Foot cutout was blown over, but it's not secured to anything, and a couple plastic chairs were knocked over, but that's it. The winds were high enough to warrant a tornado warning too, so it was a good test of the coop.

I will be looking at it more closely once it's complete to see if it needs to be shored up anywhere, but so far, it's very strong. :)

Thanks for your concern!! I really appreciate it!!

Good to know you don't deal with snow.

My hoop run a couple years ago.....Totally different climate. :D

IMG_20210315_083954.jpg

Back
Top Bottom