coupla egg questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sandrachx, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    1. have been getting eggs that are rough on one end, like sandpaper - reason?
    2. cleaned out nesting boxes on sunday - still getting a couple of dirty eggs - reason?
    3. do you wash your eggs every time you bring a new batch in? if so, how and with what?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    1. have been getting eggs that are rough on one end, like sandpaper - reason?

Something with your hen. Don't worry about it. You will come across all sorts of oddities over time with your chickens and eggs.

2. cleaned out nesting boxes on sunday - still getting a couple of dirty eggs - reason?

Your hens are running around with dirty feet and things stick to wet vents, etc etc. It is to be expected. Not every egg comes to us clean.

3. do you wash your eggs every time you bring a new batch in? if so, how and with what?

I do not wash my eggs. I don't refrigerate the ones I plan to cook with either.

If they are messy I wipe them off with a dry cloth. If that doesn't work I spot clean with a warm damp cloth. If you have to wash them make sure the water is warmer than the egg. Dry them well. Refrigerate. Use those first because the protective bloom has been washed away.​

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

3. I don't wash my eggs either, if there's splort on it, then I clean it off before I use it.

2. Eggs also come out of the same hole...so there could be dingleberries...

1. Sometimes oddities happen. Especially with new layers or when they're just starting up again after a moult.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by