couple a things

JohnDeereCracker

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Middleburg, Florida
Hello everyone! Thank you for responses.

First: I am about to begin my new, permanent coop in my back yard. I am going to have my chickens and hogs in the same area, how close can they be? Seperate pens obviously, but how close can one yard come to the other without causing grief for either one?

Second: I am down to one roo and two hens because a dog got another one two days ago.. When I get the permanent copp together I will be getting 15 baby chicks. So how do I old do they need to be before introducing them into the coop with the older ones and what is the best way to put 15 youngins in with three older ones??

any help given will be greatly appreciated.

Chris

The new chicks should be approximately the same physical size as the chickens you are introducing them to. This way they might be able to hold their own.

Mary

Yo.u will get a lot of different responses on this.
question 1. How close to hogs? as long as they can't get to each other where the hogs could eat the chickens you should be fine. hogs will eat chickens if they can catch them. especially little fluffy baby snacks.
2. I introduce my pulletts into hen runs at 5 or 6 weeks old or when they are fully feathered and ready to go without the heat lamp - this occasionally varies due to the season. I always introduce 4 or 5 at a time (safety in numbers) and give them an escape area (an upside down wooden box on short legs). I have had very few issues and have immediately culled aggressive hens, as a result my flock is very accepting of newcomers and has no agressive pecking order. I do occasionally have to lock up an enthusiastic roo for a bit, but that is easier than keeping 15 chicks sepperated.

thanks for the replies.

The hogs definately willnot be able to get to the chicks, but I did not know if they wold scare the hicks being so close and able to see.

I wont have anywhere to put the hicks after they start getting big so, into the big coop it will be, if need be I will keep the three older ones in the tractor they are in now.
thanks again
Chris

Dont forget to do something about the dog... It sounds likes he has learned where a free meal is so that is something to think about also.

Back
Top Bottom