Couple of Baby roo questions

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
So my chick, Baby Roo, is 8 weeks old now. He's a Partridge Cochin and now smaller then the other chicks (an Beardless Easter Egger and Salmon Faverolle).

When can I expect him to start noraml Roo behavior?
When can I expect him to become fertile and attempt to breed with the other girls?

I figure it's probably awhile away, but he's so adorable and I think he'd make pretty babies
smile.png

Our RIR roo didn't start crowing until around 16 weeks. He began mating at 14 weeks when we introduced a full grown hen to the flock made up otherwise of pullets. Eggs were fertile by 14 weeks. Our Japanese bantam was almost six mos for everything.

Good luck and hope this helps!

It all depends and you'll get a hundred different answers. But typically most breeds will have shown themselves to be hen's or roo's within 6 months (i.e. egg laying, crowing, mating, etc)

Last edited:
Quote:
Everything depends on the breed.

Cockerels/stags begin crowing at various ages. Some breeds crow as early as 10 weeks; others, like Asil don't start until as late as 11 months.

Many cockerels will show masculine traits such as treading, but that doesn't mean they are fertile. They generally tread a while before they are fertile.

Back
Top Bottom