Couple questions about my 6 week olds

southernmama47

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Southern CA
1. When does the peeping quiet down, or ever?

2. When can I expect to hear a crow if I happen to have a rooster? I have 4 sexed chicks, but 2 straight run silkies, so I would love to know if either are male. (Plus I can't keep roosters here)

3. I've started putting them in the coop during the day and bringing them inside at night because we don't have the apron wire dug yet. Every day around dusk, they start getting REALLY loud. I have no idea why! It's not a big deal now because we bring them inside, but I can see it being an issue when they stay out there for good. Any ideas why they are peeping SO much louder than during the day and how to fix it?

Thanks!

1. At some point, between 12 and 18 weeks (or thereabouts - some may take more, or less time) the peeping will change to actual chicken sounds. That may or may not stop.

2. Some cockerels crow really early, but most get it going around 18 weeks. Baby crowing sounds like a kazoo or an old-timey horn honk (with the squeeze bulb on the end).

3. They peep because they're getting cooler, they like it better warm, and they want to come inside as the light begins to go, but they don't know what to do yet. When they've been outside a while, full time, they will have developed their habits and will mostly make conversation as they settle down for the night. "Get your wing out of my face." "That's MY spot on the roost, not yours!" "I had the best treat today." "Did you see what Myrtle did? What a hussy!" Of course, what YOU will hear is more like, "Buk buk BUK GAWK!" "Buk BUK BUK buk." "Buk buk buk buk buk." "Bukbukbukbukbuk buk buk. Buk buk!"

. At some point, between 12 and 18 weeks (or thereabouts - some may take more, or less time) the peeping will change to actual chicken sounds. That may or may not stop.

Are chicken sounds louder than peeping? The peeping is tolerable right now, but I don't think we can afford to have them get louder. (We are technically illegal because the coop is closer to another residence than allowed)​

Quote:

yuckyuck.gif
:lol:
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

No, clucking and such is less bothersome than peeping. Peeping is nature's way of having youngsters who still need care be heard. However, that being said, when a chicken sings the Egg Song, THAT is loud and may last several minutes. Or when something upsets them, the buh-GAWK! of anger or fear can be quite loud.

Back
Top Bottom