Couple questions about when they go out

Ciqala

Songster
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
New Hampshire
In the next couple of days my chicks will be moving out to their coop. My questions are: Is it better if I block off the nesting boxes until they are laying age or is okay to just leave access to them? Also, I've read here that it's a good idea to lock them in the coop, without access to the run, for a few days so they know it's home... what's the minimum number of days I should do this that would be enough for them "to get it"? I sort of feel bad locking them in, lol, but if it helps me not have to round them up every night I'm game for it. Thanks.

Not a big deal with the nesting boxes. They may sleep in them initially if they have not had roosts before but eventually they should get the roosting idea (depending on your breeds).

When we moved our fist batch out to the coop, they had access to the run as well and the first night we had to go put them in bed because when we checked on them they were piled in a corner of the run. We figured out that they were drawn to the light in the run since they had always had light in the brooder and the streetlight illuminated the run where as the coop was dark. Next night we put a light in the coop and turned it out later and then they went to bed in the proper location but many were sleeping on the floor and nest boxes for a while until they figured out the roosts.

They are just like all babies: they learn as they grow. Have fun and good luck.

goodpost.gif
Yup X2

In the next couple of days my chicks will be moving out to their coop. My questions are: Is it better if I block off the nesting boxes until they are laying age or is okay to just leave access to them? Also, I've read here that it's a good idea to lock them in the coop, without access to the run, for a few days so they know it's home... what's the minimum number of days I should do this that would be enough for them "to get it"? I sort of feel bad locking them in, lol, but if it helps me not have to round them up every night I'm game for it. Thanks.
I had read that as well, the locking them up part. I figured depending on their age when they get moved to the coop I might keep them locked up or go ahead a let them out during the day, decisions decisions.

-Katie

Back
Top Bottom