Courtinx Lockdown?

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
When are you supposed to lock down courtinx eggs? I know some will hatch earlier if the temperature is higher, but it's been pretty stable. Do I lock down at day 16 or day 15? Also what humidity should it be then? I've seen anywhere from 65 to 85, and that seems too big a range to be accurate.

Also does anyone know what day you can start hearing cheeps from inside? I swear I heard some but I might be hearing my chicks in the basement

I’m no trained expert and I’ve only hatched coturnix once and that was 3 weeks ago and I got a very good hatch rate of out of 13, they all fully developed with 1 that never externally piped and the other was malpositioned
I put mine on lockdown at day 14. 15 would work but I would not do 16. Some eggs can hatch on day 17 or even Up to 20 (I’ve heard) I put my humidity ranging around 65-70%. You usually can maybe see the eggs wiggle at around day 15+ and they will start to chirp quietly as well.
with my first time chicken incubation I swore I heard chirps but everyone thought I was crazy! 😂 I wasn’t, they were really talking to each other! It made me feel happy that they are close!

good luck!

Thank you. Did yours need any help or did all the ones that hatch hatch just fine? Ive got a ton of different shaped eggs and I'm worried about some being stuck

Stop turning on lockdown.
I only helped one egg that pipped for more then 24 hours and it was Malpositioned. I would stay away from helping but you could research IF needed. When you see an egg that has externally pipped it can take up to 24 hours before it starts zipping so don’t freak if you seen an egg that has a little pip on it for a couple hours, it’s taking its first breaths. :)
mark the air cell when you put the eggs on lockdown with a pencil. They should pip on the air cell if not very near it.

Back
Top Bottom