Courtship

Lacey1988

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Mississippi
How old are roosters when they start courting hens? because mine(1 SLW and 2 Bantams) are 7 or 8 months old and they haven't even tried anything. My SLW mounted one once but as for feeding the hen nope

Quote:
Kinda depends on the breed. Bow Lake fowl (which won't appy to anyone but me...) begin courting (doing the wing-flicking-losing-balance-false-alarm-cardiac-episode thingy) at about 7 months. Some strains lack the instinct to court (most show birds i.e.).

Quote:
Your birds are old enough if no older birds to suppress, cockerels and cocks both tend to slow down when temperatures are low and days are getting shorter. Once days start to lengthen and get a warm spell, expect an uptick in courtship.

I never saw my boy mount his hens. Just hatched 12 of his chicks. Are you sure he is not just shy in front of you. Check the eggs. They may be fertile.

Quote:
I think it is part of crowing sequence where rooster advertises fitness to hens and rivals. It is a short-range signal where the crowing is long-range. Shows feathering and flight muscle quality which can very greatly as a function of general health both short- and long-term. Rooster that flap strongly will be in good nutritional status and is up for a fight if need be.

well I ask this question because my last roo a red sex-link was quite the stud...He almost starved himself because any little food he found went to his hens and he would court them constantly

Back
Top Bottom