covered cat litter box as "nest box"

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cap1717, Jul 13, 2009.

1. cap1717

cap1717 6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!

Jun 12, 2009
    Hi, I was looking around the shed for a 2nd nest box, and found an old covered cat litter box. The door opening is about 6" x 7", and I am wondering if this is big enough. . . my chooks are still young but will be standard size, EE, RIR & Barred Rock, plus one mixed breed pullet, possibley Orphington/ Australop cross.

2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    It would make a great nest and you've just given me a great idea. Thanks.

3. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    What a wonderful idea! ...off to the store to buy a litter box..............[​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That's what I use in my breeder pens. They work great.

5. GreenPastures

GreenPastures New Egg

Jul 9, 2009
    Fort Worth
    What a great idea! Thanks.

6. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Just put some straw and golfballs in and you're in business! I had to make an "emergency" nest box, and used a recycling bin, screwed a piece of plywood on top for a cover, and it worked! Easy to make them chickens happy.

7. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    for banty's i use a cat litter container with the lid off &set on it's side with straw . i put several along the shelf in the coop and use a 2x4 to have them all stay in place.
    they look like the like them - one or two are always used but the last one closest to the window is NEVER used. Must be no one likes the view . LOL

8. morninggloryhatchery

morninggloryhatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    Great idea! That is also what i gave my oldest Pullet who is about to lay and she fits in and out easily she is a mix breed but she is pretty darn big .

9. g_a_brand

g_a_brand Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Debert, Nova Scotia
    love that idea!!! way to go with recycling

hummm wonder if my cat would notice her covered box is missing [​IMG]

but really love your idea I wish I had thought of that before I built mine

10. cap1717

cap1717 6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!

Jun 12, 2009
    so glad you all like the idea, and even happier that my girls will be able to get in and out comfortably, when they are "of age". . .
    just another stray thought for those wishing to use covered cat boxes. . . hit your local yard sales. . . no need to pay retail!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by