Covered chicken Run?

jrob712

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2022
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums and am building our first coop. I built a coop for my mom when I was much younger but now this one is for my family! We are really excited about this new adventure!

My question would be regarding my coop design. I'm building this coop with pallets and other reclaimed materials since lumber prices are so high and we are new to backyard chickens. So the design is based on the size of available materials.

You'll see in the photo I've got a long run planned but have never thought to ask if it'd be best for that run to be covered. It's all open with hardware cloth on the walls and top but it would not be hard for me to add some tin roof on top for rain and sun protection. What are the pros and cons here? Is it even something I should be worried about? Any suggestions are welcomed! I'll post more photos below of my progress.

Attachments

• coop design .jpg
    coop design .jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 42
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums and am building our first coop. I built a coop for my mom when I was much younger but now this one is for my family! We are really excited about this new adventure!

My question would be regarding my coop design. I'm building this coop with pallets and other reclaimed materials since lumber prices are so high and we are new to backyard chickens. So the design is based on the size of available materials.

You'll see in the photo I've got a long run planned but have never thought to ask if it'd be best for that run to be covered. It's all open with hardware cloth on the walls and top but it would not be hard for me to add some tin roof on top for rain and sun protection. What are the pros and cons here? Is it even something I should be worried about? Any suggestions are welcomed! I'll post more photos below of my progress.
I'd cover it but you'll certainly want to pitch the roof.

I've got a long run planned but have never thought to ask if it'd be best for that run to be covered. It's all open with hardware cloth on the walls and top but it would not be hard for me to add some tin roof on top for rain and sun protection. What are the pros and cons here? Is it even something I should be worried about?
I would cover it, and add a pitch, as @DobieLover said, to shed rain. If it's covered, they have shade, protection from rain, and protection from aerial predators. It will also keep wild bird poop from falling in, which is a concern now with Avian Influenza circulating amongst wild birds.

Are you planning to make it tall enough for you to stand up in ? Your back will thank you if you do.

I live in Montana where we get lots of snow. Having the run covered means the birds spend the winter days outside. It's so much better for them.
I agree. They are much happier, imo, and will have fewer behavioral issues if able to get out of the coop.

We get some snow, but we also have very hot summers. The shade our covered run provides is hugely beneficial then, too.

My opinion is that the house is priority, run is so dependent on your own property. If you're on acreage and plan to let them do a lot of free-range like me, I don't know what I'd ever use a run for. On the other hand if not and the run IS their outdoor existence, that's a way different scenario. My coop house has big eve's, over-hang to keep food dry and provide dust bath dryness. I can't really call the 6ft. chain link kennel that surrounds the house a run, but it's protection from bear and coyote at night, I leave the door open all day while they run around about 4 acres of woods. I've wondered about Eagle, Owl and Hawks dropping into the kennel since it's not covered but so far so good (12years,) I think probably my dogs discourage even flying predators.....

Back
Top Bottom