covered or not covered run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 77ranger, May 4, 2009.

1. 77ranger

77ranger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    hiram ga
    what do ya'll think.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    If you want the less headacke then cover it and you don't have to worryabout hawks and other birds, or racoons.

3. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Definitely covered!!

4. 77ranger

77ranger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    hiram ga
    thinks for the reply.

5. montyhp

montyhp Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    South Texas
    I started with uncovered (actually I started totally free ranging, but had to pressure wash all horizontal surfaces every week). Birds kept getting out. Turns out barred rocks have no trouble flying up 6 feet. Not such a big deal but we are getting ready to go away for a few days and I don't really want them out, so I get some bird netting from the HD garden department and covered the entire run (15 x 40 feet). Finally, only one was getting out. She was just skinny enough she could squeeze through the welded wire where one of the welds had broken. I put a layer of chicken wire over the bottom of the fence and now they are all in for a week.

I think you will want to go covered eventually.

Montyhp

6. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I would also cover it, just in case. [​IMG]

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Covered. It's really scary to find a hawk PERCHED on your fence, just feet from your uncovered chickens! (That was my experience. [​IMG] )

8. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Just finished mine and covered it before letting the girls out. Within no time, the barn cats were walking across the top looking for a way in. Sure glad I covered it. [​IMG]

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    we are covering ours-we have chicken hawks flying above all the time-We are the only ones with chickens in a 30 mile raidus-I know they want my babies! Not too nervous about my grown BO's but the chicks are 10 weeks old and easy pickings-and My puppy worries me too-he's almost 10 lbs now so I feel a little less scared-when he hits 15-20 Ill let him terrorize the hawks and crows!

10. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I cover mine since we have very few trees for shade. Plus I would be scared of preditors if it was open.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by