Covered run .. lets see if i got this right

btrent94

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Glendale, AZ
Okay so im building a new covered run/coop for my girls heres kinda what im going off of : https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=3300-FF-EMTs_Coop

so
i was wondering if they have access to the run 24/7 so they are never locked up and their run is covered and its under a big pine tree can the actual coop be smaller since they have free access to the run ... or does it still need to be 4 sqft per bird .. im working with limited space and was hoping to make it big enough for 11 standard sized and 1 silkie .... the run will be approximately 112 sqft and i was hoping to make the coop like either 24 sqft or 36 sqft .. the 24sqft would be better cause of space
big_smile.png
... and i guess i would be able to make the coop mabey exactly 120 sqft if that would help .. or maybe a little more but thats it .. i just need some advice i guess on as what ot do
sad.png

You are in Arizona, your weather is hot, have you looked at building the 3 side open coops that have the run and coop combined but don't enclose the coop area fully, I think that would be your best bet. I would build it as large as I could, put in sand so I could clean it easily and go from there. Just do a search for hot weather coops and recent threads should show up.

you would need a 6x8 coop for 12 chicks. It's 4sq ft. per bird so you basically multiply the amount of birds by 4. That give you the required sq. ft. If they have access to the run always you can fudge a little but don't forget bad weather. If they can't get out for a couple of days they won't be happy and will begin to fight. Good Luck and always allow more space than required if possible and your chickens will be happier.

After you lose your first chicken to a night-time predator, you might re-think letting them have access to the run 24/7. Chickens sleep all night and have no reason to go out into their run. If they're sleeping in their run, the preds will do whatever they can to get in. That includes reaching their hands in and pulling your birds through the wire piece by piece. They will find the weak spot in your construction - it will always be the spot you never guessed. Just covering your run will not guarantee that your set up will be predator proof. That said, if you build the smaller coop, you will probably end up letting some of your birds go. A 24 sq. ft coop will be big enough for 6 birds. There are plenty of folk here who put more birds into tighter spaces, but poo/smell management, ventilation issues and cannibalism could become your new friends.

predators arnt much of a problem here since i live in the middle of a major city ... the neighborhood cats is all i have to worry about and about 70% of my coop/run is flesh up against a concrete wall or a pine tree and im putting wire ont he floor and using screws and washers so i dont see how a cat would really be a problem ...

And i dont exactly know what you mean annek .. like making the coop so that there is no wall at all on the third side .?.?.?. would would be the purpose of it then since itll have just as much siding as most of my cooop/run since they are up against walls and trees so would they just feel as comfortable anywhere so no need to go intot he coop to lay the egg?

I'd check with your animal control- I've lived in many cities as urbanized as Los Angeles, and we had opossums and raccoons- the raccoon is one of the most devious of predators, with HANDS to do lots of mischief...
Patty N. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom