Covering a large run

joshram

Songster
7 Years
Jun 6, 2015
Missouri
I have a a 10x10 coop and I was thinking about giving them a large run. But since it would be so large I wasn’t sure about how to cover it. I was thinking about making a fence around the coop and to use welded wire. And also putting a hot wire around the bottom. The predators we have around here are dogs, raccoons, possums and hawks. Can anyone help or have any ideas on what I should do? Thanks.

I would recommend making a divided run.

The part next to the coop make a solid roof and fully predator proof. You could also do part solid roof and part wire roof. I have successfully used strong concrete reinforcing wire with a layer of chicken wire as a roof (but I do not have raccoons).

Then have a door connecting that fully predator proof run to a not quite as secure run. The not as secure run would be a daytime only run. This one you would roof with net. Fishnet, deer net, or some such.

How big a run are you considering ("large" being relative)? A roof is always the safest bet but depending on the size of the space and any obstacles in the way, netting might be an easier option, as it will take care of hawks at least, provided you get quality netting and attach it well enough (attachments are generally the point of failure).

I have a divided yard, as mentioned above. It works well.

My flock's run is a large dog kennel that we widened to make it about 10' x 20'. Its covered with welded wire with a tarp over it. It's supported with a handful of 1 x 6s across the top and held up by 4 x 4s attached vertically to pier blocks. It works great. We replace the tarp every year or so, but it holds up just fine to the small amount of snow we get (no more than 6 - 9 inches or so at a time).

The chicken yard is about 500 sq ft (I think). It is surrounded with electric poultry netting. Over that is the heavy duty bird netting. It doesn't interfere with the electric fencing because it's nylon.

The electric netting keeps out ground predators. The bird netting keeps out the aerial predators. The roof keeps out everything and keeps the run dry. I'm very happy with it - so happy that I plan to do an even bigger divided area very soon (the same kennel run, but a fenced yard that is about 1000 sq ft).

I used heavy netting, the kind used for batting cages. To cover a 24ft. X 24ft. run. It had 1 inch x 1 inch spacing. After I got it stretched and fastened. I attached 5/4 inch x 6 inch boards around the top of the run. To cover the netting’s edges and give the run a clean look. I ran a hot wire around the top edge also. To prevent a predator from climbing up and chewing through the netting.

I have a divided yard, as mentioned above. It works well.

My flock's run is a large dog kennel that we widened to make it about 10' x 20'. Its covered with welded wire with a tarp over it. It's supported with a handful of 1 x 6s across the top and held up by 4 x 4s attached vertically to pier blocks. It works great. We replace the tarp every year or so, but it holds up just fine to the small amount of snow we get (no more than 6 - 9 inches or so at a time).

The chicken yard is about 500 sq ft (I think). It is surrounded with electric poultry netting. Over that is the heavy duty bird netting. It doesn't interfere with the electric fencing because it's nylon.

The electric netting keeps out ground predators. The bird netting keeps out the aerial predators. The roof keeps out everything and keeps the run dry. I'm very happy with it - so happy that I plan to do an even bigger divided area very soon (the same kennel run, but a fenced yard that is about 1000 sq ft).
Do you have photos of your run?
I have a 40'x40' run under trees. Lots of branches fall off the trees so I don't know how to make a roof over any of it.
For now I have parachute cord running from the barn to the fence posts across the pen at odd angles.
It's worked do far, but looks tacky 😊

Do you have photos of your run?
I have a 40'x40' run under trees. Lots of branches fall off the trees so I don't know how to make a roof over any of it.
For now I have parachute cord running from the barn to the fence posts across the pen at odd angles.
It's worked do far, but looks tacky 😊
I don't really have any pics of the yard, and the only pics I have of the run is while it was being re-constructed after our move. You can *kinda* see the way we roofed it. Half the roof is the actual kennel roof. The part that's open on the pic is now covered with welded wire, and the whole set up is tarped. It's also functional but unsightly. I hope to replace it with something more permanent, preferably with metal panels.

The run is next to a retaining wall, so it is far from ideal. I just converted a shed that was already here as quickly as possible after we moved in. I'm planning on moving the whole operation come spring to an area about the same size as yours where we had some trees cleared to satisfy our insurance company (yay, wildfire country!).

I'll try to get some better pics when there's a break in the weather.

I have seen pics where folks have put the netting around tree trunks, but I imagine it all depends on your trees: how many, how tall, height of lowest branches, etc. You might do a BYC or Google search for examples of those.

20200802_174109.jpg

I don't really have any pics of the yard, and the only pics I have of the run is while it was being re-constructed after our move. You can *kinda* see the way we roofed it. Half the roof is the actual kennel roof. The part that's open on the pic is now covered with welded wire, and the whole set up is tarped. It's also functional but unsightly. I hope to replace it with something more permanent, preferably with metal panels.

The run is next to a retaining wall, so it is far from ideal. I just converted a shed that was already here as quickly as possible after we moved in. I'm planning on moving the whole operation come spring to an area about the same size as yours where we had some trees cleared to satisfy our insurance company (yay, wildfire country!).

I'll try to get some better pics when there's a break in the weather.

I have seen pics where folks have put the netting around tree trunks, but I imagine it all depends on your trees: how many, how tall, height of lowest branches, etc. You might do a BYC or Google search for examples of those.

View attachment 2876684
Thanks!
I'll have to get some of those blocks because I can't dig a post hole anymore 😭😭

Back
Top Bottom