Covering chain link fenced roof ideas w/ odd layout

Skswen

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2023
Portland, CT
Hello,
I am looking for some cost efficient ways to cover the top of my chain link fenced in minimum time and with a weird set up. On the left of the coop the fence doesn’t have side to side fencing. Meaning the house is the third side. Same with the other end of the run. This allows maximum run space for my now larger flock. My husband thinks running welded wire or what not on a slant and adding a price of wood to the higher foundation of our house would work so we don’t have to bend (Tall people) I also want it to be easy to change out tarping area in summer to shade cloth. We have some tin roofing, some welded wire. It’s middle of winter and would like to get this done on nice weekends before spring or just asap as I have to watch them to let them out due to living on the edge of woods. My original ten free range most of the year not sure how I’m going to handle 20 yet lol. Quick cheap fast please!! Still need to finish other cosmetics in spring on the coop!!

:welcome

Welcome!

If you can post pictures that can help. Also, you general location can help so people know what elements must be considered.
I’m not sure why my picture didn’t come through I did add it. I’ll add tomorrow again once it’s not dark. Also I live in CT! Thank you!

Hello neighbor, I am in CT also. May I ask if this covering is intended for hawk protection? I ended up covering a 25'x50' run for less then $40 with an aircraft cable perimeter line and mason's string for the 'netting'. I am cheap and bored. So far (4-5months) it is holding up nicely.

Hello neighbor, I am in CT also. May I ask if this covering is intended for hawk protection? I ended up covering a 25'x50' run for less then $40 with an aircraft cable perimeter line and mason's string for the 'netting'. I am cheap and bored. So far (4-5months) it is holding up nicely.
Oh nice yes mostly hawks some eagles we live right on the CT river. in addition to wanting to have the ability to handle holding shade cloth tarps for summer and if need be cover completely depending on what the DOA decides is the best way to handle mitigation this spring of water fowl ( and half cover with tarp in winter for a dry spot) That sounds really interesting though, where does one get aircraft cable? Is that just steal cable? Could you take pictures when it’s not as cold out?

Hello,
I am looking for some cost efficient ways to cover the top of my chain link fenced in minimum time and with a weird set up. On the left of the coop the fence doesn’t have side to side fencing. Meaning the house is the third side. Same with the other end of the run. This allows maximum run space for my now larger flock. My husband thinks running welded wire or what not on a slant and adding a price of wood to the higher foundation of our house would work so we don’t have to bend (Tall people) I also want it to be easy to change out tarping area in summer to shade cloth. We have some tin roofing, some welded wire. It’s middle of winter and would like to get this done on nice weekends before spring or just asap as I have to watch them to let them out due to living on the edge of woods. My original ten free range most of the year not sure how I’m going to handle 20 yet lol. Quick cheap fast please!! Still need to finish other cosmetics in spring on the coop!!
The slope is very important if using tarp. We put tarp over a flat roofed rebar welded frame over wire mesh and the weight of water build up on the tarp after heavy rains bent the rebar and nearly broke our welded joints. We're now looking at installing a pitched roof or replacing the tarp with thick ish shadenet that water can still drain through, just leaving enough tarp or possibly PCB sheeting to protect the entrance to the coop which is wood.

Back
Top Bottom