Covering foam panels...

walkswithdog

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 17, 2008
DC Region
I insulated the cinder blocks of my hog-shed, now chicken coop with foam panels. Thanks to the warnings here about chicken investigation I KNEW I had to cover them with something.

But the budget for this build was tight, ultra tight. And I stared at foam panels for a long while before it hit me. Landscape fabric. Cheap, durable, and I had a ton of it on hand from the deck build.

I had a good stapler and VOILA, all the foam is covered with something until I can get the covering that I do want, when it fits the budget.

The exterior siding and door is all old barnwood from a neighbor. He also gave us a ton of barn and spare lumber he has to get rid of.

My camera is still dead but I'll post when the sucker gets repaired.

I've got the turkey coop skeleton up. And they're still in eggs that aren't here yet.

The goat shed skeleton is started...

See why the first chicken coop had to be cheap?

The second chicken coop has some lumber sitting in a pile.

The chicken tractors are just two sets of wheels and some pvc.

I'm booked through 2010.

Hey Thats a good idea...landscape fabric....let us know how it holds up and thanks for sharing.
thumbsup.gif

~Rebecca

Oh, I might have to try that! I used foam too - I got the pink stuff that has this coating on it that's supposed to be 'extra tough'. Well, the coating does seem to work - but every place the foam is cut is just foam. We insulated our mini coop and the babies joyfully went to town everywhere they could reach.

I sealed the lower edges up with packing tape. Seems to be working so far, but maybe lanscape cloth is the way to go for bigger areas - like the bottom of the coop.

I wish I'd had that revelation about the landscaping fabric; I tried to insulate my kennel/coop conversion and the little fools went after that styrofoam like it was Orville Reddenbacher(sp?) popcorn
ep.gif
barnie.gif
I'm really thankful they didn't kill themselves. I still have 4 4X8 pieces left which can come in useful on insulating the back side that butts up against the garage. I could cover them with the landscape fabric & slide them between the garage & coop, fastening them to the coop wire & close up the gap. Thanks for that idea!
smile.png

Quote:
I was thinking 2012!!! OH MY! You are going to have a yard full.

The landscaping is an awesome idea. I use it for everything. If this turns out to be a bad winter, we have the sytrofoam insulation sheets in the attic left over from a job we did, and I have plenty of the fabric... we can do an quick install if need be. Thank you so much for the idea!!!!!

The landscaping is an awesome idea. I use it for everything.

vfem - what else do you use landscaping cloth for? I posted a week or so ago about how people use landscaping cloth, & everyone that replied said I misunderstood & must be talking about hardware cloth. Dang, I knew I had read somewhere about using landscaping cloth!! Can you explain further...?​

As I mainly do landscaping, that's where it ends up! LOL

Other then flower beds, I used it as a base for my brick walkway, I'm laying it under my raised garden beds for my spring veggie garden, I'm also using it as another base for the path round my veggie beds between them and my fence. Then covering them in peagravel so I have a large walkway and no need to mow inside the fenced area. We didn't know if we would be able to get tar paper for the roof of our coop (which we did) and if we didn't we were going to double layer the landscaping cloth under the roofing shingle to create a barrier. I also laid it under some brick I laid out temporarily to put our trashcan on so I don't have a bunch of weeds to pull there because it smells....

I've used it for other things as well, under the deck, under my mom's shed, I also used some as a temporary tarp over my chickens tractor coop when we had that huge storm recently to block out any additional water and wind.

Ok.... end Hijack!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom