covering insulation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChicksR4Me, Oct 15, 2009.

1. ChicksR4Me

ChicksR4Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have a bunch of insulation that a friend gave me that was left over from their garage project. I would like to insulate my coop. Does anyone have any ideas on how to cover the insulation so the chickens don't peck at it? thanks [​IMG]

2. loralei

loralei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    New Caney, Texas
    It's been my experiance that chickens will peck at anything! You certainly don't want them ingesting any fiberglass. I would use some sort of cheap, rigid board, maybe paneling?

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Thin plywood or discarded panelling (tho large pieces can sag over time if there is dampness) are the 'traditional' materials. But you can use anything else you can find that will be rigid enough to stay attached in place and not be pecked through. I believe some of our members, who happened across a trove of discarded vinyl roll flooring, used that (although it is waaay to expensive to *buy* for that purpose).

Remember that only the parts that chickens can reach need to be peckproofed. It is a good idea to cover the rest of your insulation too, ultimately, but I mean, at least until more materials come your way, only walls/ceiling that are *within their reach* need to be covered.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. ChicksR4Me

ChicksR4Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Thank you for that advise and information. I'll do my best to find something to keep them safe and warm.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

6. Chad the Chicken Man

Chad the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    I dont know if you have a menards around where you live. its like a home depot or lows, but just yester day i went and bought some isulation and to cover it i just got some cheap plywood. it was only like 4.87 a 4x8 sheet.. very very cheap!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by