Cow longing for her calf

rwilliams296

Songster
Mar 5, 2018
We have a small herd of Dexter cattle. Our first calf recently turned 6 months old and was sold yesterday. His mom is really missing him and won't stop mooing. I'm sure this is normal but how long can we expect this to continue? I feel bad for her. šŸ˜¢

We always felt bad for our brood cows when calves were sold. They usually got over it after a few days.

How do you like your Dexters? We raised Angus but some aspects of the Dexter breed intrigue me.
Have yours been tested for dwarfism and achondrodysplasia?

We always felt bad for our brood cows when calves were sold. They usually got over it after a few days.

How do you like your Dexters? We raised Angus but some aspects of the Dexter breed intrigue me.
Have yours been tested for dwarfism and achondrodysplasia?
No, they have not. Wasn't aware that dwarfism could be an issue with the breed. Makes sense tho. Ours are fairly docile as we spend alot of time around them. They don't require alot of pasture which is good because I live on only 6 acres.

Was it weaned before sale? I know with our sheep weaning is a rather dramatic time for both if the mother hasn't started to herself
For the last couple of weeks I hadn't noticed him nursing at all. But then again, I haven't been able to observe them 24/7. He has been eating hay and cubes along with the rest of the herd for months.

Back
Top Bottom