cow milk verses goat milk

Quote:
luvmygirlsinAK, I just found that to be interesting information. Thanks

birdnutz, thanks for posting this about the miniature Jerseys. I had never heard of them, but I'd LOVE to have one if I could get Anne to milk it. I've suggested that before, and she just flatout refused to say that she'll milk and cow or a goat. I might just throw that old lazy woman out and get me a young milkmaid in here.

Quote:
luvmygirlsinAK, I just found that to be interesting information. Thanks

birdnutz, thanks for posting this about the miniature Jerseys. I had never heard of them, but I'd LOVE to have one if I could get Anne to milk it. I've suggested that before, and she just flatout refused to say that she'll milk and cow or a goat. I might just throw that old lazy woman out and get me a young milkmaid in here.

Anne wants to know if there are any volunteers.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

If milking is properly done and the milk properly cooled down the milk from either should keep well and not smell.

I'm not familar with goats but have a dairy farm and cows milk will change in taste according to what they are fed.

As for comparing store milk and fresh from the farm milk, in my opinion there is no comparison, straight from the farm is the best.

Have you visited ?

Well, I just tried raw goat's milk for the first time that actually tasted fabulous!!! We went to possibly buy a male goat for our female Nigerian Dwarf to breed with, and my son told him that I wasn't totally sold on the idea of goat's milk yet, and so he sent us home with a quart of it-my daughter did a "blind" taste test, and although I could tell which was which, (we buy raw cow's milk) it tasted really good!!!!

They also said it has to be cooled down very quickly, the male goat's kept away from the female, and cleanliness, cleanliness!!!

Wow! I never dreamed I'd be able to try some fresh goat's milk again so soon after posting on here the other day, and managed to find someone who actually knew what they were doing to get great tasting goat's milk!!! I definitely give it a
thumbsup.gif

Honestly, haul your does to someone else who has a proven buck, keeping an unaltered male is just not fun, and all they really do is eat and cause mischief 11 months out of the year.

Also, doing it this way, you can vary the bloodlines you use to breed to year to year. If you keep a buck you will probably only use him and soon you'll have kids/does from only one source. Maybe a good thing but you're taking several years worth of time/effort on the chance you got the right boyo.

[edit] yes, and goats milk, good stuff!

Last edited:
I have tried goats milk in several forms, processed different ways and from different people. It still tastes like GOAT to me!!! I so wanted to like it, but BLECH!

There must be some component to goats milk that I can pick up no matter what...kind of like how some people are really sensitive to the sulfur compounds in cauliflower.

Around here a milk cow is easily $2200.

I'll stick with my goats.

I can't say this enough - if the utensils are not properly cleaned to remove the milk proteins, the milk is not chilled down ASAP, the milking area is not clean - your milk will taste funky.

Handle it properly and your goats milk should not have a 'goatey' flavor.

Back
Top Bottom