PRINCE

BABY ASTRID AND MOM STAR

ICE CUBE

PATTY BACK ASTRID FRONT

Last edited:
Cows are yummy.
droolin.gif
I do love beef.

As for keeping them, Ive always been drawn to Jersey and Highlands, both very pretty (imo) breeds... though I have yet to add any cattle to the family. Give me time.

Thanks for sharing all the photos! I really like Ice Cube, s/he's a cute one.

Yes, Holm25 I have cows! The first pic is the dry cow/heifer group going out to graze last year. The second pic is a heifer in some sudan grass. The sudan grass should have been grazed much sooner at a lower height. The last pic is my best cow, now pregnant with her 7th calf (that's a lot for dairy animals!) She is on pace to make over 1000lbs of fat for her 4th consecutive lactation. for the herd I may have one or two cows top 1000lbs of fat per lactation. She is standing in the same paddock that the sudan grass was in. Pictured in fall, the paddock is now in oats and tillage radish. Just yesterday it was planted in corn.

DAIRY COWS I PRESUME
Yes, dairy cows. I pull the calves from the cows soon after birth. I give them colostrum and they go in a hutch. The last cow is a Jersey x Holstein cross. All of my cows are calm and I can walk them easily. One time I got pushed up against a wall by a cow who just had a calf. It happened so quickly I didn't have any time to get mad until it was all over!

I also love cows :) Here is my 2 year old jersey heifer, Ritzy & the first picture is of Ritzy's mother, Rizzo. Anyone else have any jerseys with big white spots similar to Ritzy and Rizzo?

I've had one or two with white spots but those were Jersey x Holstein crosses. Usually such a cross is black or very dark brown. It could be possible that you have another breed in the mix but I don't know enough about the Jersey breed to say whether pure Jerseys can get spots or not. I know some bull studs are selling semen from Jersey bulls that have some Holstein blood in them.

Back
Top Bottom