Cow with a BAD EYE

chickenbuttsowhat

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Danville, Arkansas
our landlord has cows in our back yard and hasnt been taking care of them he's one of the ppl that DONT need cows well there was this white heifer with a bad eye infection that we kept telling him he needs to care for 5 months later he actually cares now after they eye is way to fare gone it actually looks like its pop out and just dead looking hes not wanting to take her to the vet and gave us $20 to do something about it i already have some penicillin that i got for my dogs if they get hurt so going to make my husband round her up and make a pen for just her and start giving that but what else should we do? i'll try to get pics and post so u guys can really see but its really nasty i feel so sorry for the poor thing i keep telling them to put her down

i was thinking it was something like that cuz her eye was pink at the beginning heres a pic best i could get at the time maybe tomorrow or so i can get a better one
93963_img_0726.jpg

La200 works great for pink eye. It's kind of spendy but one shot and pink eye is gone. After handling the cow be sure to wash real good as you can catch it.

I've seen this at the local animal supply:
http://www.pinkeye.com/

it's a patch and medication, basically glues over the eye after you treat it, falls off in 10 days.

how are you going to catch and control the cow while you treat it? they're generally not grateful and compliant, especially if the eye is bad...

La 200 works awesome!! It might be a good idea to do both the shot and the patch, but honestly her eye may be to far gone... still treat it but she will probably have some blindness. Growing up my dad bought a heifer that had suffered from untreated pink eye. She was a good girl but that eye was odd colored, cloudy and bulged the rest of her life. She was still tastey, sad I know, but I'm told if pink eye is left untreated in female cattle it affects their reproductive abilities. I don't know if thats true but it might be something to think about!

thanks guys where do i give the la200 shot at in the neck or the butt? we r going to ask the neighbor to help catch her on his horses and put her in this shoot to keep her still idk really how the boys r going to do it i'm leaving it to them lol

thanks guys where do i give the la200 shot at in the neck or the butt? we r going to ask the neighbor to help catch her on his horses and put her in this shoot to keep her still idk really how the boys r going to do it i'm leaving it to them lol

The directions will tell you where it should go. Its been a while since I've given it, but if I remember correctly it goes in the muscle. An IM (intermuscular) can be given in any muscle, but works best if done in the butt! If is is SubQ then it needs to go under the skin and that is easiest in the neck or a place where you can grab skin.

most IM drugs can be given under the skin as well. with goats, we're told to give all of them subcutaneously because IM can cause changes in the meat where the shot is given. if you need to give it IM, give it in the neck. just draw back on the syringe before you inject to make sure you're not in a vessel.

Back
Top Bottom