coydogs eat chickens?

They can certainly hunt in the daytime sometimes. And if they're hungry and can smell chicken in a barn they would certainly be willing to try their darnedest to get in.

Pat

Besides keeping the barn locked down at dusk, till dawn, is there anything i can do? My birds free range all day when the weather permits, door open most days as ducks are always outside, nobody is caged.

I, also, am curious. What is a coydog?
hu.gif

Around here what we would call a coydog is a mix of coyote and dog. Usually they've got less fear of a human so consequently have the potential to do more damage to livestock.

If your property has any type of fence around it, add an electric fence.
Place the first wire at 8", next at 18" and the last at 30". That works most of the time. If a predator wants in, they will get in. Enough thing that works is a radio. The electric fence will cost you a few hundred dollars, a radio a few dollars at Goodwill. Or you can go all out and spend a few thousand dollars. This depends on the size of your property and the number of birds you have.

Yes Coydogs will hunt in the day....neighbours on the road have lost chickens and rabbits and when we were getting our Xmas tree we heard them in the woods around us.I also have seen their prints in the snow around my coop..when the snow wasnt so deep!! haha..(our dogs dont go around the coop area).One of my oldtime neighbours on the road told me that if you see alot of wild rabbits around your place then there not around but if you dont see any wild rabbits that means they have been hunting them...Also he said to watch my dogs because in the spring they really try and intise the domestic dogs to come join them for breeding(or when the female is in heat) or for"lunch"..They're cool to listen to on a summers night

Back
Top Bottom