Coydogs What to Do?

thereverend

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 15, 2010
I just brought home BLACK BANTAMS and they have some little chicks and they are little in themselfs. .But
i had no problem with coys till i brought them home. Once i brought them home they would not stop peeping so loudly
that within 2 hours of having them home I had coys howelling around nearby.. What can i do!!!!! to keep them away
they will just tear the chicken wire down.. is there something to keep them away?!

Make sure your coop is strong enough to keep them out, electric fence sturdy coop. I do not let my chickens sleep in the run. They are locked into the coop each night. Then check with your local Animal Controle and or Police and see what you can do. Trap? Shoot? Poison? Hire someone to hunt them?

FYI--there are not such thing as coydogs. This was a confusion that start because the larger, eastern coyote was not recognized as a true coyote and people thought it was a cross. In truth a coyotes will kill a dog rather than mate with it. So you are either having a problem with dogs or coyotes--probably dogs that are being allowed to run free maybe even house pets. I suggest getting in touch with you local animal control department or a qualified trapper.

- Replace the chicken wire with 1/2 inch hard wire cloth. Chicken wire only keeps chickens in, not keep things out. Pretty much anything can tear right through it and make dinner out of your birds.

- Be sure to bury the hard wire cloth least a foot deep in the ground so predators can't dig under, and over the top of the run too so nothing that flies or climbs can get in.

- String Hot wire strand every 4"-6" from the ground up. Not too expensive.

- Go over the run and coop with a fine tooth comb and close any gaps. Even ones that are only an inch. Rats and weasels can get in through holes that small with no problem.

In the meantime, I would really keep your birds indoors at night in a dog crate or something till you are securely set up.

Back
Top Bottom