Coyote 0 Sheldon Won Woo Hoo

goobhen

Chicks Rule
13 Years
Dec 6, 2008
Indiana
My husband bought me a game camera for my birthday on October 4th this year. We have set it up several nights and days, all we got were pictures of Medic our guard dog. He is not really, but he patrols our 6 acres and keeps us safe from the deer. (My five dogs hate deer and will chase them for miles) About a month ago, I posted that something got in my chicken run and was after my rooster, Sheldon a brown star. I went yelling and screaming, grabbed a shovel and was going to bash the "varmit's head in.... I did not have my glasses so I was not sure what it was. My DH has owned this house for 14 years, never has seen anything bigger than a possum. Coons are never in our yard. Today I let my 14 hens and Sheldon out to free range. I just got in the house and I heard Sheldon's battle cry, then all the hens. I looked out my window and I saw a dog that I thought was going to fight my dog Jake (avatar) or Medic. I ran out to my side yard and got the shock of my life!! Biggest coyote I have ever seen!! He was almost as tall as Medic, but thinner, a healthy beuatiful thick fur coat! He was so intent on going after my chickens that it took him a second to realize I was running at him. We both had the expression on our faces as "What the heck am I doing here?" He turned and ran off back into the woods. My mom told me later that the coyote didn't go to the side yard, it went out the back woods. I figured out that we had two of them visiting!! I am now glad that the thing jumped over my 8 foot fence 4 weeks ago, cause seeing him today made me realize that I would have been on the wrong side of the battle. My shovel would not have been a defense against this thing. Now my husband wants me to be more careful when I am out in the dark, but I know most coyotes want to avoid humans like the plague. I will never not have a rooster as long as I have chickens. Sheldon saved my hens. The coyote made absolutely no noise!
We set up the game cam in the direction of the woods near the back of my chicken run. Hopefully I will have pictures in the next couple of days to share with you all!
Theresa
yippiechickie.gif
Sheldon is THE roo of the day!!

Last edited:
Be cautious. Most coyotes will do anything to avoid humans, but those that have become habituated to humans will attack. Heed your husband's advice. Also understand that two coyotes working together can kill a fairly good sized dog.

I promise I will be more careful! I know Jake would be a tasty meal for coyotes, unfortunately Jake thinks he is a Great Dane, not a terrier!! I make sure he & Bella (terrier & Austalian Cattle dog mix) are both in the house at night. The big dogs usually are out in pairs. I was letting my 14 year old cat go out in the day to explore while I was home, now he cannot go out! I just hope the coyotes don't lose their fear of humans, or then we will have to get rid of them (trapping or shooting them). Based on the size and healthy appearance of the one I saw, they have been here for at least a year or more. I previously thought coyotes were ugly. This one today was beautiful.

I have coyotes, fox and bobcat around and when I go out at dusk to lock everyone up I always have a gun on me (Ruger Blackhawk .357 revolver). You should always have a gun handy. If you can handle a 12 gauge great, if not a .410 shotgun can be inexpensive and will kill a coyote (use #4 buckshot). Even a .22 can be effective, but you have to be a good shot.

I've been out at the barn feeding before and saw two big 'ole coyotes come up ready for a snake. I start screaming and yelling at them, but they could have cared less. They just sat there and stared at me, lickng their chops!! We shot a bobcat last week that had killed numerous chickens, and not to mention one of my peahens!
somad.gif

Anything that kills, or trys to kill a chicken on our ranch is going to be hunted, and shot. I would shoot the coyote on site, if that was me. I wouldn't want to take a chance.

~Aspen

Quote:
X2 - they work together too well. We don't let our terrier out unless we're supervising due to all the predators we have around, and our cats have become indoor cats for the same reason. If you've got at least two coyotes working together, you're best off with a firearm - two of them against you tips the odds big time, and I don't believe they'll back down so readily the next time.
Sheldon should have mealworms for dinner - good boy!

Quote:
I don't know your state laws, but this is a red flag to me. Please do be careful-- in most states, allowing dogs to 'run deer' is illegal, and can be grounds for the dogs to be put down. Even if it is on your property. Most dog owners think that the dogs just chase the deer and have some fun and that's the end of it, but sadly this is not often the case and dogs can harm the deer (most especially when in a 'pack'.. I have seen videos and it is pretty cruel), weaken it so that it is taken by other predators, etc. Please be respectful to wildlife; your dogs have a home and food waiting for them at home. The wildlife doesn't have that advantage.

Well I'll be danged. Y'all have taught me something today. I grewup in Alabama and the only way we ever hunted deer was on a 'drive'. Use shooting, dogs chasing and deer running. Didn't know they has changed the law. Morgan chases deer all the time here. I'll have to tell him it's against the law, in NY or WV.

Back
Top Bottom