Coyote Attack After Rain - Questions about Free Ranging

jessica8804

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 14, 2013
There was a rain storm last night and I let my 8 hens out around 7 am, as usual. Around 7:30 am a coyote got one hen and then he came back and got another. I live right next to a small creek in the western suburbs of Chicago and my problem predators have been a hawk, raccoon, and now this coyote. My raccoon issue was solved with galvanized steel fencing bc they attack at night and the hens get locked up. I understand that there is always a risk when you free range, but i want to minimize it.

Will this same coyote come back? Do they like to eat at certain times? I have read about rain making hens smell more so I am definitively going to keep them in run until things dry up next time.

I am wondering what the best time of day is to let my hens out each day?? After this incident, should I keep them locked up for a week or how long because this same coyote may come back???

Thanks for you advice!!

Jessica

Once a predator finds an easy food source they usually come back for more. I'd lock up the birds and set traps. I hate killing anything but sometimes it's necessary to save the lives of others.

Coyotes, above all else, are adaptable opportunists: give them an opportunity, and they'll take advantage of it....... and learn from it. This one (and possibly others- they are social animals, as well) has learned where unguarded chicken dinners are to be had ....... and if you guard them, he'll soon figure out when and how you are doing the guarding, looking for an opportunity to foil your defenses ....... ie: if all you do is stand there and yell at him when he comes into the yard and grabs a chicken, then he knows you are not a threat. Being in town, you can't STBDRT ........ you are pretty much going to lock up your birds, or subsidize the coyotes in your neighborhood..... which means more coyotes .....kinda a death sprial for your flock, over time, no?

He be back, lock your birds up until he dealt with. And if you have any small animals or children keep them inside or be out there with them. Coyotes are opportunistic predators. (If it hadnt been for my golden retiver collie mix i would have been a victim of a coyote as a five year old) be extremely careful if he has no fear of humans!

What does STBDRT stand for? what I am getting from this is that anytime of day coyotes will eat?! If I do come face to face with one what should I do? When 2 were outside with my 20lb french bulldog I screamed and nothing happened... We have a small gun, i think its a pellet gun, with special ammo that's is meant to kill small animals like squirrels etc. I don't think it will do much to a coyote... Should I use that or try to hit them with a baseball bat?? Otherwise we do own a lot of bigger guns that aren't legal to shoot in my backyard, however I think it would be justified in a life threatening situation.

Thanks again!!

Yikes!!
Wouldn't hurt to take a shot at them with a pellet gun, it's not going to kill them obviously but might deter them.
Not sure how populated your area is, and you probably know this already, but be careful what's behind what you're shooting at even with a pellet gun.
I'd be calling Animal Control and/or DNR and getting their take on the situation, they may be able to help or at least give you some advice.

Unfortunately urban coyotes have habituated to humans and are quite bold and have extremely low flight distances (the distance to which an animal will allow an stimulus to approach it or will itself approach a stimulus).

Given your location there is probably little you can do other than install secure fencing. Investigate whether electrified poultry netting is allowed in your area. Many people use it with great success.

Here's what UC Davis has to say on the matter.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74135.html

If I do come face to face with one what should I do? When 2 were outside with my 20lb french bulldog I screamed and nothing happened...
Around here, coyotes are shot at whenever they are seen- consequently, they have become good at not being seen ( they apparently have seen that Monty Python sketch.....lol) ..... they fear humans, because those that don't, don't last long.

Can they harm you? Certainly, though coyotes do not usually attack humans, and attacks on adults are extremely rare. There have even been 2 confirmed fatal attacks on humans by coyotes, one of small child and the other on a 19 y.o. female by a pack of coyotes ..... I'd have a means to back up any threats, were I you .... but I do that anyway ;[ .....

Back
Top Bottom