Coyote Attack Help!

Elocin

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
My chicken was attacked by a coyote about an hour ago, I thought it got her but we ended up finding her in shock in the corner. Shes missing the back half side of her feathers and underneathe her wing shes got a spot about 3inches by 3 inches big of raw flesh. The thing tore her skin off, there is hardly any blood and from what i can make out it looks like she has a tiny little gash in 2 spots. I cant quite see because there are feathers mangled all over the spot and i dont wanna pick them off because they are somewhat still attatched and I dont want to hurt her anymore. Is there anything I can do?? Is she going to heal??? She is acting normal, eating, drinking, shes just in shock still. I dont know what to do. Please help!!

Wash the wounds with mild soap & water...rinse well. Are stitches required???

Put her in a quiet place...heat would be great....electrolytes in drinking water & food. Tomorrow you can start antibiotics...either oral, injectable, or in drinking water.

Chickens heal quickly & bounce back from seemingly horrendous wounds. Shock is what you need to treat first.

Good luck & keep us posted!

Thank you so much. Shes been in my bathroom for a few hours now, she hasnt layed down at all but shes still very much awake. She has started panting a little bit so Im wondering if she is in extreme pain, but it is also extremely hot and muggy right now.

Im going to try to wash around the open flesh, I dont think stitches are needed but I guess Ill find out when I try to wash her. She isnt a very tame chicken so I dont think she'll let me touch her too much.

As for antibiotics, where in the world would I find those for a chicken??

Im going to check out the feed store tomorrow, hopefully they have some stuff for chickens but I doubt it in my area...

My chicken has been acting a bit better, shes still eating very well and drinking. Now shes starting to fluff around and pick out her loose feathers, including some from the wound.

I ended up taking some flat tweezers and pulling the loose feathers off of her wound and saw that there is a pretty wide open gash in her but it doesnt look too deep. Also I sprayed some peroxide over the entire area and it looks like it helped start a scab over the open gash. Shes inside in a baby playpen right now, Im going to keep her wound clean and hope it heals.

So just got up and checked on my chicken, shes got a horrible smell to her, what is this??? I looked at her wound and it has yellow stuff oozing around it, could this be an infection or just the scab trying to form????

Back
Top Bottom