Coyote Attack

It knows food is in there so it will come back until it finds a way in or is deterred enough not to come back (or dispatched of course). Electric fence, big dogs, lights with scary sounds, throwing fire crackers at it. IDK….just anything to deter it if outright killing it isn’t an option for you.

As a side note - The Ring cameras tend to be a little pricey and IMO overkill for just watching the chicken coop so I got the Blink outdoor cameras. They were on sale a while back a 3pk was 120 bucks. They run on 2 AA batteries (included) and if you have your settings set to not run allllll day they will last quite a while. For example - I have 1 facing the chicken run, 1 facing the chicken coop, and 1 off the back porch facing the entire backyard (coop and all). Someone is typically home all day, plus dogs are in and out so I have the schedule set to detect motion from dusk till dawn. It something comes around they obviously won’t scare it but at least I’ll know what it is and can plan for it’s return. You can also do a live view and talk through them too. So lets say it alerts you something is lurking around - you can do a live view and yell at it “hey get out of there!” And hearing a human voice might be enough to scare it off. Just a suggestion as they are cheaper and basically the same thing as Ring.

Here’s how I got them set up.

View attachment 3209004

View attachment 3209005

And a screenshot of my dog running past the coop late at night

View attachment 3209010
I had gotten wyze for the coop and I wanted to love them. On surface, seemed a better deal. But, having to buy an annual subscription PER camera to get better options on recording plus their lag in recording killed their value. We already have Ring blanketing our house so now we'll have everything in one place again.

I love animals, almost all. And I don't hunt (though I would if I had to).

But our coyote problem in suburban MA (literally a half mile from the Boston border) has gotten so bad that kids are afraid to walk around at night. They are VERY smart animals, territorial, and HUNGRY. And they have no natural predators here, so this makes them a menace and a danger. This is one animal I would be in favor of culling once they start moving into residential areas (NOT WHEN WE MOVE INTO THEIR AREAS!!).

I know this doesn't help you, but if your neighbor wants to get his gun and take out that coyote, I'd buy him a nice bottle of bourbon.

I love animals, almost all. And I don't hunt (though I would if I had to).

But our coyote problem in suburban MA (literally a half mile from the Boston border) has gotten so bad that kids are afraid to walk around at night. They are VERY smart animals, territorial, and HUNGRY. And they have no natural predators here, so this makes them a menace and a danger. This is one animal I would be in favor of culling once they start moving into residential areas (NOT WHEN WE MOVE INTO THEIR AREAS!!).

I know this doesn't help you, but if your neighbor wants to get his gun and take out that coyote, I'd buy him a nice bottle of bourbon.
100% agree. We're live in the heart of the our small city and our neighborhood was built in the 60s. It is exactly the same as you say. There are no predators. They could go maybe 5 miles away and be in the mountains but, no.

If you could pay a trapper that would be even better- I catch a lot of grief as I advocate for wildlife management and proper balance- the coyotes have become excessive and it’s more than oh keep you cat inside and deal with it this was their territory first - The coyotes are a threat to other species as well - they travel many miles regularly from their den- Everything must be kept in balance in the ecosystem and unfortunately coyotes have upset that (at least in my area ) we don’t have wolves thankfully which I would assume would keep the coyote in check

Coyote will be back until you answer with lead.

I had one coyote take three chickens in a week last summer. No sign of feathers or even a struggle, just missing birds. They grab them and go.

I look out kitchen window one evening, see him eyeballing the chickens, just standing in my lawn about 40 foot from coop. I go full Daniel Boom with running ambush from back corner of house. He bolts and I fire as he's across the pasture, aiming high and ahead, peppering him with low-brass #8 bird shot at about 80 - 90 yards.

At that distance the shot spread will be really wide and won't do more than give coyote a couple of bee stings he will remember.

If/when I hear or see coyotes anywhere near the house, I grab gun and start shooting. Even if they're just howling in the tree line. Did a good bit of shooting the first year we had chickens - now coyotes seem to understand and have been keeping their distance.

Coyote will be back until you answer with lead.

I had one coyote take three chickens in a week last summer. No sign of feathers or even a struggle, just missing birds. They grab them and go.

I look out kitchen window one evening, see him eyeballing the chickens, just standing in my lawn about 40 foot from coop. I go full Daniel Boom with running ambush from back corner of house. He bolts and I fire as he's across the pasture, aiming high and ahead, peppering him with low-brass #8 bird shot at about 80 - 90 yards.

At that distance the shot spread will be really wide and won't do more than give coyote a couple of bee stings he will remember.

If/when I hear or see coyotes anywhere near the house, I grab gun and start shooting. Even if they're just howling in the tree line. Did a good bit of shooting the first year we had chickens - now coyotes seem to understand and have been keeping their distance.
What I find amazing is when they hear a shell slide in the chamber they go silent.

Back
Top Bottom