Coyote Attacks Toddler In Griffith Park....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I followed you link including this one http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/coyote_attacks.html that pretty much sums up what the DEC guy said in the current article--no more than a handful country wide in the course of a year. Coyote attacks, while they happen, are rare--so are shark attacks--but they're big news and tend to get exaggerated. One or two a year are not an epidemic and, if you have to go back 15 years to find one, they certainly aren't an everyday occurrence. BTW, I wasn't poking fun at you, just pointing out that that particular article was old news. As your link points out, there are much new attacks if you want to point them out to us. Why go back 15 years? Interesting too, most of the attacks in that link are in California--maybe population density and feeding has something to do with them. Given room, the animals may avoid people better. BTW, where do you live in NYS? My hometown is on my avatar.

Last edited:
I'm not going to get involved in a discussion of what should be done with coyotes, etc. However, there have been multiple coyote attacks in the Rye area.

Note the following:

In Rye, New York , in June, 2010 -- a six year old and a three year old were attacked in separate incidents within one week
In Rye Brooks, New York (three miles from Rye), in September, 2010, a two year old and a teenage boy were attacked within a one hour period.
This article mentions 3 attacks in one day (Sept 5) with "unconfirmed" accounts of a teenage boy who was also attacked. Presumably, that was the same account as the last one. However, names/ages are not listed.
Some articles mention that the father of the two year old was also bitten.

http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/bitstream/10113/39878/1/IND44322430.pdf
This article from the USDA website says there were 48 documented coyote attacks on children or adults from 1998-2003 in California with 41 more documented cases from 1988-1997. Other cases / situations are discussed in the article, as well. The article states that most of these occurred in Southern California.

Statistically, your chances of getting hurt/injured by coyote attack are so small as to not even bother to think about it. If you live in an area which has had attacks, though, then it might be worth paying attention to. It's a matter of knowing your surroundings and the dangers you are most likely to face. (I could get killed by someone's tire coming off their car, rolling off an overpass, and smashing into my windshield. It's remotely possible. I'm sure it's happened somewhere. However, I'm not going to think about the possibility - it's too remote. However, I do stand a good chance of hitting a deer on the way home some night. I see them in the road or in the median on a daily basis. I pay more attention to that risk. I lock my doors and pull my curtains and lock my windows to help prevent break-ins - which could result in murder (me, or maybe them...) I try to avoid stores late at night -- that way I don't walk in on a robbery in progress. These things concern me more on a daily basis than coyote. Heck, even when I'm at our country place the coyotes don't scare me - and they come right into the yard. Only had one that ever concerned me and I think it was part dog - it wasn't scared enough and would come around during broad daylight looking for a chicken or cat dinner.

Edited: typo

Last edited:
Quote:
I was trying not to single anyone out. But yes Woodmort was more in a discussion mode. plus type written words are not always read they way they were typed...even I do it. I guess I am the one not stating my opinion. I don't like anything that kills my loved ones from pets to livestock to humans. But killing everything that lives around us that we can is not the answer. I agree that eerything serves a purpose, so if you do not predator proof your coop the fault falls on you not the othe way around. Yes it hurts to lose something you love, but live and learn. Make you coop predator proof and teach you children that only the animals you have introduced them too should be approached. Teach them about how these animals hunt. That is your job as a livestock and pet owner and a parent. So my neck is out there chop away. But don't state anything but facts and back them up with links or person knowledge of what happens to you. And put dates on old articles...maybe that should be a rule...so I don't call all my friends in LA and look like an idiot. Plus maybe i should search on google before I take someones word about something. Someone else can get on the soapbox now.

Quote:
Same here. They are shot on sight. There are at least two packs in our area (hear `em exchanging insults at night), they are the seldom seen species of predator (took one manged female with a fox set, shot one healthy young male out courting I suppose, over a period of 13yrs).

Drive towards town, at night, and there they are crossing the suburban streets like pedestrians out jogging.

same here we do not like or want them. Whack and stack baby
smile.png
besides the pelts are worth $15-25 apiece
smile.png

I'll stand corrected Rozzie, apparently either the Binghamton Press writer or the DEC biologist didn't mention the second attack in Sunday's article. Still that isn't many and it may well have been caused by one group that, for whatever reason, have lost fear of humans. One of the interesting things about many of the attacks cited by that link is that they happened when a human was trying to protect their pets--that is one of the things they tell you to be careful about with cougars as well. I read of at least one case where a woman was attacked by a great horned owl trying to protect her dog. Of course many of the dog bites undoubtedly happen when someone tries to break up dog fights as well.
Judging from where these attacks happen I have to think that you're more likely to be attacked in an urban setting than a rural one since it is in these areas where the coyotes lose fear and are used to finding food around homes. They are smart opportunist that will find food where it exist and that may include seeing small humans as prey. Again, I'll repeat, people, including small children, are more at risk for being injured or killed by the neighbor's dog than a roaming coyote.

BTW, if one lives in NYS--as does WillieBoy--and kills or traps a coyote any time other than from October 1 through March 27th and, when doing so, does not have a valid hunting or trapping license, they are subject to a fine and loss of firearm and/or traps. That's the law if a DEC or law enforcement officer chooses to enforce it. That being said, I would have no qualms about offing a coyote--or fox, coon, possum, weasel or dog--that was threatening my family, chickens or cats. I just wouldn't brag about it on here or any place else.

'Nuff said?

Quote:
Woodmort please dont forget the morons who take these savage beasts in and call them pets. or the rescuers who save and relocate. they think there doing a world of wonders but there simply not. my advice is if you see a cute little helpless coyote pup shoot its face off have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom