Coyote in the yard!

arcountrychick

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Arkansas
Last week I lost one of my pretty SLWs--chalked it up to a stray dog. The girls free range during the day so a dog seemed a likely culprit. This morning I was out taking care of my younger chicks when one of my EEs streaked across the yard, screaming like crazy. I kind of chuckled (silly girl)...until I saw what was right behind her! A coyote! I screamed at it and it cut into the woods. I ran for the gun and chased it through the woods, around the back of the coop. I, of course, never got a shot off. I think this weekend we will be building a new coop closer to the house so we can keep a closer eye on them, but I want that coyote and his buddies GONE. I have lots of baby chicks, ducks and turkeys and I want them to be safe when they get big enough to go outside. Any ideas on coyote-proofing / eradication?

Youn need some good dogs to help you.
They will always be there when you can not and believe me it will give you peace of mind cause worring about you babies all the time will be hard on you.

Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

I've been on the lookout for a dog. We currently have a bulldog, but he stays indoors most of the time. Not that he would be much help anyway!

you need a very large live trap or some steel traps (leg hold traps) and a really sturdy cage.

put live chicken in cage with food and water. then place in live trap or set steel traps around her under leaves. wait. eliminate catch. rinse and repeat. other bait might work but if they see and hear a live chicken they have to have it, or so my husband says.

Back
Top Bottom