Coyote-proof coop?

Make sure the chickens are locked up at night and no access to the run.Take in food and water at night. If any of you neighbors feed stray cats they will use their food as a source as well as hunt those cats. 6 foot fence with a bib in the ground. At night you can try lights and sound alarms to deter them. Coyotes are a pain but I try to remind myself they do serve a purpose of keeping rodent population down. Keep food sources in your yard limited. I would let the chickens out when you are home to watch them at first and go from there. Deter the coyotes from an easy meal during the day. They are opportunistic animals.
And Jan through March I do believe is typical mating seasons so you may see more during that time. Good luck with the coop!!

The portable coop that I build will keep out coyote's. The bottom 24" is enclosed so that when they start digging they loose sight of the prey, then they pop their head back up to make sure the prey has not moved. They do this every few seconds and finally frustrate themselves. Even if they were to continue digging they will have to dig their entire body depth and length because they cannot wedge this coop up like they can do a fence. Finally, the welded wire keeps them out because they cannot tear or break it. This coop is 6x14 and serves as a total habitat for chickens, run and elevated house. By moving forward every 2-3 days you eliminate odor, manure buildup, mud, and you give them fresh grass, bugs, weed, seed and other free range benefits. Check out our facebook page for more pictures.
What gage wire did you use?

I have a raised coop (about 3.5 ft off the ground), and lock them inside at night. When I wasn't locking them in, I lost 2 birds in less than a week. A rifle also works great for 'yote control. I have Hogwire overtop of Chickenwire (as someone said, it's junk - it doesn't even keep my chickens in. I've watched my Leghorn chew right through it if she really wants out) and I am going to be replacing it with Stucco wire. There was a low spot in my current makeshift fence about 4 ft high - I watched a Coyote jump right over it with a chicken in it's mouth.. so build your fences high as they can jump!!
They can clear jump a 5ft fence but bound up or climb much higher. There can be no foot holds in a fence or wall. Coyote rollers might work.Just make sure nothing is on the other side of the wall or fence they can get up on.

We have a lot of coyotes around here. We have seen them wandering right through our yard. Is there a good, sturdy coyote-proof coop design? We don't have any chickens yet but we'd like to get some for egg-laying, probably just 3-4 hens. No roosters, no breeding.
That's a little unsettling and frightening as well. I hope the herd is safe. well, I hope you guys are safe.

Back
Top Bottom