Coyote proofing pen

Santa Cruz Red

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Trying to build bomb proof pen for turkeys. We have industrious coyotes that will dig into most anything. Currently planning 2x3 welded wire up two feet, down 6 in or more (depending on digging) below ground. Considering in addition strands of barbed wire staked to ground 6, 12 and 18 inches out from pen to discourage digging. Would hate to have to pour concrete apron all around. Would appreciate hearing from anyone with bad coyote problem and successful solution.
thanks

Currently planning 2x3 welded wire up two feet, down 6 in or more (depending on digging) below ground. Considering in addition strands of barbed wire staked to ground 6, 12 and 18 inches out from pen to discourage digging

Digging down 6 inches won't even phase them

The easiest way is simply lay an "apron" of the 2 x 3 wire about 2 feet wide all around the pen.

Attach it to the bottom of the fence, and cover with enough dirt so grass can grow up through it to anchor it in place.

You can do it in less time than it would take to do all the digging​

We HAD a serious predator problem (coyotes, hawks, fox, wild cat & weasel). We did a lot of research and purchased a pair of Great Pyrenees dogs. They have been raised with chickens and ducks (& goats but we dont have goats). They are the best investment; they do eat lot. We don't have to secure anyone at night. The dogs hang/live with the poultry. They do bark a bit at night to chase off the predators. They are very friendly to us (me, husband, and four kids) and love attention from us too. The dogs live with the poultry; they are smelly but the dogs never come indoors. We do brush them and play with them a couple times a week. The dogs (livestock guard dogs = LGD) will solve all of your predator problems!!!

Thanks to both Bear Foot Farm and loghousechick.
We've already got an old Cattle Dog, who probably wouldn't appreciate a Pyrenees, but the suggestion of heavy wire on the ground 2ft out from pen sounds like a good one.

Do I need to run the heavy wire up 2-3 ft also to keep them from tearing through the 1" chicken wire?

Thanks

I put an electric fence arround my chicken area. I did it mostly for the coons, but I saw a coyote hit the fence once and they now give the chicken area a quick look and make a wide circle arround the area. I have 2 strands, the lowest about 6" high, and the 2nd about 12". I have out away from the chicken fence about 8" and it is a little lower by the gate so I can step over it easy.

Quote:
Digging down 6 inches won't even phase them

The easiest way is simply lay an "apron" of the 2 x 3 wire about 2 feet wide all around the pen.

Attach it to the bottom of the fence, and cover with enough dirt so grass can grow up through it to anchor it in place.

You can do it in less time than it would take to do all the digging

x2 don't make sense to dig in a skirt, you just loosen the ground for them!

68999_22-250.jpg

A must have to any coyote proof pen.

Electric fence would be my suggestion.

When I was out in CA, I lost all 8 of my thanksgiving turkeys to coyotes. They broke through cedar privacy fencing and pried up the chain link on the dog run I was using to hold the birds. I don't think you can go overboard when it comes to coyotes
hmm.png

I don't know if it is practical but coyotes are predictable time wise they are creatures of habit and easy to shoot from an elevated platform. I hate the idea of keeping my birds penned all the time, they have such a good time when they are out and about.

In addition to burrowing under, coyotes will jump almost any fence. So think about overhead protection as well. I've never lost a hen to a coyote digging under the chainlink fenced run. But I did lose a hen when the coyote found the one place where there is nothing covering overhead. The fence is 6' tall, coyote jumped over it, snagged the hen, and jumped back out before I was even sure it was a coyote!

Back
Top Bottom