Coyote survivors! pics

tellynpeep

Crowing
14 Years
Oct 4, 2008
SW New Hampshire
Well, I guess I just can't let them free range anymore.
I was sitting inside when I heard a commotion from the chickens that usually signals a dog-attack.
I ran out in time to see my 3 mo old Ameraucanas flying OUT of their electric netting, and to see all my grown girls (and boy) running in panic. I ran up and saw what I thought was a Coyote or maybe large fox (definitely not the usual neighbor's dogs). I SCREAMED at it, and sent my dog after it.. Then spent the next ten minutes collecting birds from deep in the woods where they'd fled. TONS of feathers. Two that I can tell were injured.... my two oldest and sweetest girls.
Billie, the old EE matriarch, had blood coming from her bill, but no obvious external injuries.
Cocoa, my Spotted Sussex, has bite wounds on her back (see pics), is missing all the tails around her rump, and has a big laceration on her foot, as well as lots of bruising.

After looking at the wounds, there is no question it was a coyote; the teeth marks are clear, and way too big to be a fox.
All I can figure is that is is a young inexperienced predator, to actually have a chicken in its jaws and have it get away!
We were VERY LUCKY today. A big thanks also to my dog Luna, who chased the coyote way WAY into the woods!

I've treated plenty of dog bite wounds, and am sure Cocoa will heal. But wow....
She's on antibiotics, pain meds, and twice-daily wound care.

But they are all locked in their pen for now :-(

16660_coco1.jpg

16660_coco2.jpg

I would have screamed at it too, good thing your dog chased it away. Mine wouldn't have been so brave. Looks like some pretty decent gashes, poor bird was lucky to get away with her life! Sounds like you know how to care for her, chickens are miraculous healers. It's a good thing we don't have to worry about rabies, lately we've had a lot of rabies infected animals showing up around town.

Back
Top Bottom