Coyote trapping

Pics
I have two electric fences. One is just a 7 wire predator fence and the other is 3 strands in front of an existing fence on extended insulators. I still have foxes and raccoons test the fence, especially the 7 wire that surrounds 46 pens.
Foxes running around in close proximity to chickens is not a good thing even if they can’t get to them. Chickens turn into pinballs. They can break beaks, toe nails, spurs etc. The stress from multiple encounters can affect hens laying and the list goes on.
I’m confident my set up will stop them from getting the chickens. The problem is I’m not ok with the harassment and imo nobody should be.

Ahh ok I get you now... yeah I don’t disagree with this as a general idea that can guide a lot of people away from creating their own problems....

but every situation is different... my coop for example has a great big mulberry tree next to it... next month when those berries are ripe the coons are coming for them... and i know they’re going to test my coop...

I’m pretty confident that it’ll keep them out... but I know coons will surprise us...

so your farmer might tell me to a) cut down the old mulberry tree or b) spend some money to run electric to the coop and set up a hot wire ... or something else...

I’d tell that farmer to hide and watch while I apply a skill that I was taught by another old farmer, then I’d set some traps ;)

It's all about context of course. Really I'm just saying consider the options there's more than you think than decide what fits your space.

Right, but the predator is an animal. It doesn't know what it's doing. Its cruelty isn't intentional, or conscious. It has to eat to survive, and it has to do this to eat. As an animal, it is incapable of malice. It's not the fox's fault that the chicken suffers. There is no fault when animals interact in a way that harms one of them.
You are fully capable of understanding what your actions do to other beings, and that you cause them pain. You are therefore responsible for finding ways to cause as little pain as possible. If you cause an animal pain, the cruelty of the situation is your fault.
One way to cause minimal pain in this situation is to find an alternate way of killing an animal. Another way is to predator-proof your setup entirely, eliminating the need to kill the predators. Which is probably the better solution in the long run- you can't, and shouldn't, kill off all the predators in your area.
Ahh ok I get you now... yeah I don’t disagree with this as a general idea that can guide a lot of people away from creating their own problems....

but every situation is different... my coop for example has a great big mulberry tree next to it... next month when those berries are ripe the coons are coming for them... and i know they’re going to test my coop...

I’m pretty confident that it’ll keep them out... but I know coons will surprise us...

so your farmer might tell me to a) cut down the old mulberry tree or b) spend some money to run electric to the coop and set up a hot wire ... or something else...

I’d tell that farmer to hide and watch while I apply a skill that I was taught by another old farmer, then I’d set some traps ;)
Or he would tell you too overlook your coop for a loose staple and hope for the best. It's all a trade-off and a risk. Just a perspective.

Or he would tell you too overlook your coop for a loose staple ...

Oh he’s one of those people is he?... comes along after the work is done to tell you how you should have done it...I’m liking this farmer less and less :lau

.... and hope for the best. It's all a trade-off and a risk. Just a perspective.

I was once told that we can’t hope for the best... we can hope for better ... but we have to plan for the best, then we have execute that plan. ;)

But I think we’re saying the same thing, in that a bit a thought and adjustment can help people avoid a lot or often most of the problems they have with predators.

You might try cutting some ripe branches and placing them away from your coop to satisfy then on fruit before the main course

Back
Top Bottom