Coyote!!!!!!

I must say.today of all days I agree with momma , bout killing the coyotes....the one that attacked my hen today. was on my FRONT porch........and didnt scare away even after my son showed himself with gun.........now that is just to plain close........I loath killing for no reason......but today ,well.just had to. I had just been out there swimming with my little grandbaby. I agree,we are the cause of them having nowhere to go.but put to the choice today.us or them.........its got to be them

You didn't have a choice today okiechick, even I will concur with that. That coyote crossed the line and it cost him. I would have put a bullet in him myself. Had he gotten away with it he would have been more brazen the next time.

Can't keep thinking there was something wrong with him to make him act like that. Rabid animals don't tend to kill to eat, they basicly stop eatting all together when the virus really sets in.

But like you said, "I loath killing for no reason" Me too, this was a good reason

Well interesting you say that..........he was SOOOOO skinny..my son mentioned maybe he was rapid....that scares me big time....he is still out in my yard.......Missy could become rapid?oh my.....how /what do you do?

Unfortunately, coyotes seem to be filling an ecological niche that previously had been occupied by feral dogs. As the dog population is controlled by leash laws, coyotes move in.

These animals are rapidly adapting to the urban environment. Game and Fish will not act on a coyote problem unless they are threatening humans or expensive livestock. They are scared to death of the animal rights people and the Sierra Club. This is a tragedy in the making. It is only a matter of time until they take down a child.

Game and Fish suggests people just yell and scream at these critters. That is stupid, the animals could care less.

Individuals shooting firearms in populated areas is not a good anwer either. Good fences help, but I have seen coyotes make it over seven foot fences with ease.

I think the answer is to put political pressure on Game and Fish and the local animal control officers to force them to do their jobs.

In the mean time, keep that doggie dog closed.

Rufus

Contact your local enviormental health department and they can help you with the rabies check and long as the head is still in one piece. Also better keep your bird away from the others for a min 10 day. It should only take that long for any rabies symptoms to show. If she is good after 10 days she should be good.

Quote:
I'm not coming near your house!!!!

well im 13 so i dont realy shot them i let my dad or brother shot them ,but when i said "blast there heads of i meant kill then not really ,blast there heads off, lol we have more bob cat and fox problems than coyotes, i hate corotes espesialy if they breed with someone dog and creat a coyodog i think thats what they call,um
wink.png

No problem, I was just teasing.
wee.gif

I know what you mean about the coyodogs. Coyotes are smart to start with and then mix them with some regular dogs who have kind of got humans figured out. You are just asking for trouble.

What gets me is why don't people get their dogs fixed?! Someone on the boards just posted about a trip to the pound and how terrible it was. Think of that X's every county in the USA not to mention just about every good sized city has their own as well. That is how many dogs (cats and other critters)are out there that no one loves and could be put to death just because somone wouldn't spend the money to get their dog (cat or other critter) fixed. And I love the excuses I've heard!

"I want my children to experience the miracle of birth"--So have a baby yourself!!

"That's a man's dog (cat), needs to have his "nads""--I think somone should have clipped yours!

"It's too much money"---but it doesn't cost money raise unwanted puppies or kittens over and over and over again?! Not to mention that spay/nueter clinics have made it almost free to have it done.

In the natural world, life and death is so much easier. Cubs, kits, pups, calves, and other babies don't survive as easily as our pets do. Only those willing to adapt survive. There are population declines because of lack of food and lack of habitat.

But here in "OUR" world of over abundance, dog, cats, rats, coyotes, and other animals have learned to survive just by eating our garbage alone.

It is a shame the coyote had to die, but I understand why. There was no killing just to kill it. It was killed to protect the flock and possibly the family. I have no problem with that as I have said before. What was done had to be done.

Last edited:
I live in the suburbs so I do not think that I will be shooting anything soon.(also considering that I am 13 and it is my birthday today!!!)I will try walking around there to scare him off.:/Hmmmmm........ not so safe I guess.

happy birthday bantam!
A word of caution though, if that coyote is already comfortable in town and in your yard, you probably shouldn't approach it. best to call animal control or just the police and have them dispatch it. I'm sure they will destroy it.

Killing the coyote would only open that territory for another. Best thing to do is to scare it away or have a couple of good dogs. Unlike wolves, at least the coyotes usually hunt alone, so most likely you're only dealing with one animal. Making a definition of boundaries with the resident coyote can actually have its benefits of keeping other non-resident coyotes away, which could start unwanted problems again. Having a fenced area for the chickens helps too.

I learned this from first hand experience. Coyotes are beautiful. I've been face to face with a resident coyote and she was awesome...and she even left our neighbor's livestock alone. He had more problems with neighbor's dogs than he ever did with a resident coyote.

Back
Top Bottom