1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coyote....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by painter chick, Mar 27, 2009.

1. painter chick

painter chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Leelanau county MI
    Anyone have advice about getting rid of a coyote who has taken up residence in our back yard (180 acres of woods & hills)? I've seen her at noon drinking from our pond and scenting the coop, plus she chased a deer through our yard the other morning , so she's feeling pretty comfortable around the house and I'm really worried about letting the girls out in the yard, not to mention our cat who is in a fenced area but the fence is only 4'
    Any hints would be helpful,

thanks, Sue

2. plumberroy

plumberroy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    Since it seems you are not a hunter ,I would ask around locally for someone who varmint hunts It shouldn't be to hard to find some one. The county ag. extension office my have a list of people who volunteer for varmint removal. I know of 2 counties in Oh. that have such a list. A local gun club is another place to ask. If I lived closer I would come do it for you .
    Roy

3. painter chick

Jun 12, 2008
    Leelanau county MI
    Well I'm not "exactly" a hunter but I think she moved in because of the red squirrels I shoot out of our bird feeder, in fact I have some "bait" out there right now.

I'm using a 22 but do I need to get a larger gun? The feeder is only about 20' from the house I was thinking about putting in an all night watch....

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    a 22 would take care of the yote if placed in the right spot.

Get a rabbit in distress call, brings 'em like a moth to a flame.

5. painter chick

Jun 12, 2008
    Leelanau county MI
    Thanks

6. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    Trap & relocate?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  7. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    There are gels and granules that are repellents-- you put it around the perimeter of the yard... be sure it isn't where your chickens can eat it. It will also keep your cat IN the yard! LOL!

8. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:And give the problem to someone else? Sorry not to offend but coyotes are not endangered and are pests and are much more a danger to children and pets than most wild animals. Shoot or get a neighbor to shoot the critter before the chickens are the least of your worries.

9. painter chick

Jun 12, 2008
    Leelanau county MI
    We are over run with the things here, and this dog is a bit too comfortable getting this close to the house and I really don't want to transfer my problem to someone else. I enjoy listening to them from a distance but I have allot of time and money raising my hens and I can't even tell you how mad I'd be if she got one!

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:I agree that this the best and fastest way, download and record a rabbit in distress, plan your strategy, place the sound , hide in range, and shoot straight. problem solved.

AL

Trap and relocate is a bunch of hooooey, the object is get rid of the preditor not find it a safe home and make it another persons problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by