1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coyotes and fences?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by J3172, Jan 8, 2011.

1. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Can a Coyote jump a 4ft fence?

2. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Easily.

3. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    What about a 5'

4. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

If they couldn't jump it they would climb over it or dig under. I run a strand of barbed-wire near the ground at the bottom of my field fences and the rascals still dig under! Makes a great place to set a snare tho... A fence with a hot wire or barbed-wire on top does help keep them from climbing over.

5. Coyotes can manage to get over and even under a 5 ft fence.

6. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    They can jump 8' tall fences and easily bound distances of 12'+, and they're great climbers. Routinely I've watched them jump up on top of 6' tall fences like it was just jumping on top of a fallen log.

Coyote-proof fencing is very expensive. Cheaper, but not at all cheap and def not coyote-proof, is installing an overhang slanted outward at least 18-24" on top of a 6'+ tall fence with a skirt along the bottom, or a skirted bottom on the same fence with at least 3 strands of hot wire 6" apart. Still very expensive if there's any amount of fencing to upgrade. [​IMG]

7. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    I agree, electrify if possible, barbed wire. I've seen coyote, fox, bobcat scale many dirrerent fences or vault over them.

8. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

Around here the 4 ft. fence works well because it keep our pack of dogs on one side and coyotes on the other. I'm not sure if, at night, they vault the fence.

As I understand it, coyotes an easily climb a 4-5 ft fences. I have heard of "coyote rollers" which appear to be effective at preventing canines from climbing a fence; you can Google their website. I think you could make easily make a coyote roller with some fencing wire and the piping of your choice.

Jim

9. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    We have a 6 1/2 ft block wall bordering our property and it is no protection from coyotes - they scale it quite easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by