Coyotes attack 6 year old in Rye NY. 2nd Child in Rye Attacked

The attacks occurred in the evening, one at 7:15 pm and one around 9:30 pm.

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20106300337

It was definitely hunting time for the animals involved, and the children were small and moving quickly. All the cues for "Let's get our prey!" were there.

It's incredibly unfortunate and I'm so glad the children are OK, but here in Westchester we've encroached so much on the animals' space that they're getting used to human proximity. Not that that's an excuse or comfort for the kids who were attacked, but people who don't really know about wildlife don't always seem to get this; it's not a horror movie where suddenly evil scary predators descend for no reason. I live farther north than Rye in a less populated area and have learned to appreciate the coyotes' role in the ecosystem and treat them with a combination of respect and fear. But they're just following the prey animals, who now flourish in southern Westchester probably more than up north because they haven't really had predation pressure.

OK, I'm not really sure where I'm going with this. While the people in that community are understandably nervous, it doesn't help that the media fan the flames of fear. I do give them credit for at least interviewing wildlife experts and including that information in the stories, though.

Coyotes are NOT native to Westchester!! 20 years ago they wheren't here. I know one of the kids attacked. They where in a fenced in yard!!!!

Quote:
Of all things. I'm sure that no one would have thought that a coyote would go after a child in a fenced yard. I hate the thought of coyotes 'watching' humans playing also. They really are a lot like dogs in that childrens toys that remind them of prey (like a ball rolling or being tossed back and forth or a skateboard or similar things) are very attractive to them, maybe more than the child. I'd be interested to know what the children were playing with when they were attacked.

Seems to be another graphic example of wildlife adapting to human surroundings...I hope the children recover quickly....

I grew up around coyotes all my life and I can safely say that coyotes going into a fenced yard after children is not normal behavior. If they aren't rabid then they have become accostumed to the humans and were probably stealing cat and dog food, plus a few cats (coyotes favorite food).

I live in Rome, Pa. We have had a bad time with the coyotes here too. My Cochin Roo, was killed right at dusk (still light out the other day , along with one of my hens), they are all over here. If anyone knows of a cochin Roo looking for well secured home. ( they are now tightly fenced with a lock up house for the night) Please please let me know. They have always been locked in my greenhouse, at night, the attack happened before it got dark, and I couldnt save him. Oh geez Im crying. He did put up a good fight. To say he could be replaced is ridiculous, he was given to me by my dearest neighbor. Also in the market for few more cochin hens they are so warm hearted and I love them as they waddle arounf with those fuzzy feet. Pleas be careful if you live near this area.

Coyotes are all over Phoenix. I've seen them in the early morning hours running the streets of east central Phoenix.

I hike the trails in the preserve to the north and often will see coyotes. Once a couple were following me late one evening so I simply picked up a rock and threw it at them and they high tailed it away.... earlier a woman who was walking her small dog had to really throw things at and scream at a pack that wanted her dog for dinner.

So sad that they've started attacking humans... makes you wonder if they got one somewhere (missing child?) and got a taste for the blood.

Quote:
If anyone knows, I'd be interested to know what the children were playing with at the time of the attack. I'd much rather think that the coyotes were interested in the kids because of the toys looking like prey...

I think someone shot my local coyotes, or the pack is ranging farther away.

I've had feral cats eating on my front porch since October 2009. Got 3 of them fixed after 2 females presented with litters. Last feral I got fixed was eaten by coyotes last spring. She had been around for about 3 years. Coyotes control the population. When they fail I start trapping for spay/neuter. Wish I could catch the toms, but they are trap-savvy...

Oh, if anyone wants a kitten, I've got 4 ready to go... My animals are all fixed, but ahem...

Here in San Diego County a young tween was in the courtyard of their apt. complex and a coyote came at her and tore her shirt. She hit it and it ran off. The dogs are getting squeezed out. Every ridge, every canyon has been built on. They've got no where to go. When I was a kid you saw squirrels, rabbits, lizards, etc. ALL the time. Now there are zero. The coyotes are now having to look for other food sources. Personally, I feel bad for them. I live in the mountains and I see them often but they've never bothered us (knock on wood). I would keep any small child close to me...even in a fenced yard! There are too many nuts out there and people that let their dogs roam free.

Back
Top Bottom