Coyotes got my ducks 😭

KTloo

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
Yesterday near this time, twilight before dawn here, I came out to find no ducks in their run... Immediately I knew I was in for a gruesome experience. And it was, and three of the four are dead, and the fourth, being lucky in its genetics (a fully wild bred mallard) she flew away cause she can fly. The others couldn't.ni have no idea where she may be but I only hope.she found one of the two local ponds (for many many miles) and is making friends there.

I am so sad. Everyday I would take care of them, and then sit and watch them play in their pools, in the sprinkler, in the grass out front; I would let them free range as long as they were being watched after, and they were always being watched after because they were fun and cute & I already miss them sooooo much.

I'm a weirdo maybe, or maybe as a child of two psychotically abusive parents, but with the luck of living in nature, it was the ducks who kept me sane and feeling loved and as if something in this world could feel my love and it made them/it happy... So ducks have always been for me such a creature where even sad parts of my heart could find a little happy and a little joy to keep from closing down.... And I had that again here for a minute..... 12 & 1/2 weeks of raising them from fluff balls mucking up my bathtub to goofy clumsy adolescents, to fully feathers and surer footed totally quackers. And I could always look at them and even on a bad day it would cheer me up, so I'd just watch my ducks and give them treats and play with them with the sprinkler, and then life would be good.

I'm gonna miss my duckie-doo, duckie-poo, gang of four feathered flapping ****aroos, so who gives a who, you's gots me and I's gots you ... They'd make me sing little ditties ... And now it's just an empty stupid space with no fluffy, web footed goofballs.
😭

RIP
HONEY DUMPLING
MONSIEUR CANDIE (I needed a villian named duck K?)
& Mr.Bean
You all were so just your own little personalities... Irreplaceable
💔🦆💔🦆💔🦆💔

Safe travels and safe flight to SpiderMan-Woman-duck
"Spider-duck, spider-duck, does whatever a spider duck does...."
💗🕸️🦆🕸️⛲💕✈️

Anyways, it's my fault I guess out here you can't just put the fencing approx 2ft down under the dirt, cause the dirt is such fine silt and so now; NOW I realize it is so easily dug thru by a hungry coyote.... I'm a bad duck mother, I should have really thought things out better.
Bad.

& I'm so sad they are gone, but now I am also on a mission, because I am not go at even try ducks again, let alone chickens around here, nor am I gonna take everything out and and put rebar reinforcement pounded 3ft down with Constantine wire buried along the bottom just to hope they don't dig under the gate.... Nope, there IS a coyote problem out here, their numbers are getting too big. They gather and hunt & scavenge in a pack of 25 right in our area, and they aren't afraid of anything anymore, not even people... It's kinda horrifying the noise that 25 coyotes together in your neighborhood can make, and they're dicks... So ya know what?: I'll be legally hunting those sh*theads down until there back around 10-12 max where they were at last year, before the problems started. THEN I'll think about starting with some ducks and chickens, goats... But not until them damn coyotes relearn the skill of NOT going onto people's property & after their livestock, learn to not try to stare down people without and fear, and just go back to hunting the freaking the bazillion rabbits that are everywhere....

Maybe I'll try buying some hatching eggs, two in case one is a dud, and if they both hatch, well then I think I can handle two HOUSE-ducks.

I'm just too much of a duck lover to go thru this kinda shit again.

Those coyotes are so toast. It's pest control at this point, and everyone who lives so far down towards the edge of this side of town, would appreciate it.

I won't kill them all... Just the ones that come out during the day and act all "I own this shit" around people, even passing several angry dogs won't flinch... Just too much of a trickster to be afraid of non-wild animals I suppose... But that learned behavior can be eliminated from the pack very easily. Anyways they're probably rabbis if they don't fear being yelled at, barked at and stones throw at them. Either way, I'm gonna deal with that cause I do want to try again with some ducks and chickens some rabbits and a goat... But not so they can be dinner for a dumb coyote

1623586758704.png

Anyways they're probably rabbis if they don't fear being yelled at, barked at and stones throw at them.
I do feel for you, I've lost many of my favorites to coyotes and raccoons and a freaking yorkie terrier. But they're not necessarily rabid if they're not scared of people. They could just be so freaking used to people and your community that they don't care anymore. Raccoons can get the same way, and I know deer are for the most part where I live.

I’m so sorry you lost your ducks. I’m sure you gave them the best life. It’s not your fault, and your not a bad duck parent. Sometime things happen, and they are often out of your control. I hope at some point you are able to get ducks again. Again, I’m sorry this happened to you. May they all Rest In Peace 😔

I’m so sorry. And I also want to say that you don’t sound like a bad duck mom at all. Sometimes things happen we can’t really control and this sounds like one of those.
I also agree with thinning out the pack. We have to do it every few years around here. We also have problems with feral dogs running with the packs and teaching them to be 100x more bold and aggressive. Luckily the neighbors Great Pyrenees considers our house and coop in her territory and keeps them away at night.

Back
Top Bottom