Coyotes I think? Please No!

buff goose guy

Songster
5 Years
Feb 9, 2014
Mississippi Y'all
So coyotes might not even come to our property but we heard some tonight. We blew an air horn and they stopped with their loud yipping howls. Any way we put up many of our ducks tonight , but some still remain out and I'm so worried!

I really hope that they stay away!!!

Last edited:
Yeah, ill be praying all night, but we put up most of our white ducks and ducks that couldn't fly as well as those that had foot or cripple problems. we put all of those up for the night.

It was just totally scary.

My grandmother ( the original owner and starter of our farm and duck hatchery ) spent the night in the farm house last night, she hasen't contacted me yet this morning, but seeing that i assume everyone is okay
I will have to do more investigating when i get done with my classes and am able to get home.

hey there @buff goose guy !

I've heard of people buying these types of lights that look like red glistening of animal eyes and placing them in areas around their coop/run. You have to move them periodically, but the point is for dogs and other predators to see the "eyes" and assume another dog or predator is already there and "watching them". Reviews have been positive from what I read. Maybe you should consider looking into something like that to help deter the 'yotes and any other predators. Or even motion sensor lights. I would also make a point of securing any areas your birds are kept/cooped in at night so that you don't wake up one morning to total devastation. Chicken wire is easily ripped apart by a hungry animal. Welded wire has been a saving grace for us.

Do you have an outside dog? I find my dog has been the best predator protection I could ask for. Especially during the night. During the day, my guineas always kept strict patrol and were always first to alert at any problems. Which was great bc even if I was inside the house, I could hear them and be able to come running.

And this may sound strange, but I would also recommend peeing in areas surrounding your property and even near where your ducks are kept. If privacy allows, or just bring it out in a container and apply. It's always been an old-timer's trick where I live and it has worked for many. Coyotes want food, but not to have to deal with you. If your human scent is everywhere, that acts as a deterrent and may cause them to move on and forget about your "delicious goodies".

Last edited:
I have those up i think

We are an established hatchery and have been doing this for about 2 decades ( my grandmother was the founder and i wasent born yet so ) we know how to secure everything we have everything secure, we have dogs and gaurd geese too.

We know all the saftey measures the point was i just conserned and wanted to share :)

Last edited:
Best of luck, hope all is well! I just had a raccoon problem that necessitated some barbed wire and an extra strand of electric fence. I know the feeling!

We had a coyote in the poultry yard once. I wasn't home wife ran into the pen! Shadow our pyr mix. Jumped the fence (he has never jumped a fence and he is 5 years old). Shadow killed the coyote in seconds. He still doesn't jump fences. He's just very protective of his mama.

We had a coyote in the poultry yard once. I wasn't home wife ran into the pen! Shadow our pyr mix. Jumped the fence (he has never jumped a fence and he is 5 years old). Shadow killed the coyote in seconds. He still doesn't jump fences. He's just very protective of his mama.
Duke, my Anatolian/Lab mix, is like that. He is laid back and on occassion rumbles out a great growl to warn something off that he hears or smells. But, no matter what or who your are, don't mess with me while he is around. He once shook a raccoon to death then slung it over a fence to get rid of it and has kept packs of coytes away from our place with great success. We see and hear them but they do not venture onto our farm.

Back
Top Bottom