Coyotes in Eastern NC?!?!

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
I can't believe what I'm hearing. I was just told they have recovered 2 coyote bodies off of Hwy 42 near Johnston county/Wake county line! The man who owns the land my mother rents for her trailer has a farm near by and has lost several chickens, and cats. My mother has had 2 cats that disappeared in the last month and never came home.

I've been warned by my neighbors who have chickens that a friend of theirs recently lost ducks and chickens to an unknown critter?! But it had to be several somethings or something big because 6 of them were gone by morning.

I've never heard of Coyotes being this far east before. Is anyone else getting reports? I'm worrying about my girls since they free range.

Last edited:
Coyotes are everywhere. Just because we don't see them often, doesn't mean the aren't there. I read an article once that said Coyotes were even in Central Park in NYC.

Coyotes are everywhere- they're unbelievably adaptable. They have even been found in Central Park NY and downtown LA. They will fit in anywhere food and habitat is available. With the disappearance of poultry and cats I'd say it's a safe bet you've got them too. We see them in broad daylight close to the house here and hear them howl all the time. I'd give some serious thought to free-ranging unless you have a fenced yard, and even then one can jump a 4 ft fence with ease so the wire will only deter predators that aren't seriously determined to get in.

Thanks for sharing this news.
I didn't hear about Coyotes in NC yet.
barnie.gif

Well, right now I'm going to continue to let them free range while I'm home. We only have an acre and they never venture further then the deck and coop area. Besides I'm home most of the time.

It just shows how much we've dissolved the natural habitat of so many creatures though.

There are coyotes all over eastern NC...very prevalent in the coastal plain swamps and farmlands. Because hunters are allowed to use dogs to run deer during hunting season, many get lost and mate with the coyotes, so not only coyotes but coy dogs abound.

Back
Top Bottom