Coyotes--Where do they eat their kill?--Sad Update :(

To all who have lost their sweet cats, I'm so very sorry.
L2Design, I saw your post and had to respond: LostCatFinder Kim is a friend of mine! :) I just went out hunting for a kitty (North of Atlanta) whom we believe may have been taken by a coyote, and was texting Kim about it just 5 min ago. The kitty's owner is her client. Kim is amazing! Since I'm located in the area of the missing cat and Kim is not, I posted a question on Nextdoor about coyote sightings here. They are EVERYWHERE. (Duluth, Norcross, Johns Creek, Peachtree Corners, Georgia). There are known dens in the area as well. People don't think about the possibility of losing their cats (or other animals), or they deny it can happen to them. They become complacent. And then their hearts are broken when they do lose a pet. A kind gentleman just yesterday was telling me he had been walking his Daschund in the area a few years ago and several coyotes began chasing them!!! (Scary!). He's a tall, average built man, too.

I would suggest to anyone who wants their kitties to enjoy the outdoors, but wants to keep them safe from the harm of preditors, to build a catio. It doesn't have to be large, and there are even pre-built catio parts you can buy online. It will be well worth the one time expense.

Again, my heart goes out to you all. Your babies were beautiful and were so loved. You gave them good lives. All you can do now is protect the other animals you have. (Those of you on farms are obviously in different situations, but the wolves urine sounds quite interesting). Best wishes.

Sad update. I found my cat with the help of one my dogs, she picked up a scent and all her hair raised up, she knew something was wrong, I followed her to his body. It looks like the coyotes just killed him to kill something. He had a small hole in his side and one piece of entrail was pulled out (hope that isn't too graphic). I am very sad he was killed for fun (or whatever), but I am glad he was not eaten because now I can give him a proper burial and know what happened. But, needless to say, I feel like going to WAR!!!
somad.gif
I just wanted to thank everyone who replied...thanks so much!

I am so sorry to hear about your cat, my condolences and hugs

I am sorry about the loss of your cat (Deep sympathy)!:hugs I was starting to leave my cat outside night and every time he was fine. Now I am definitely thinking differently because I have spotted coyotes in my field before. I leave the cat supervised with my 3 dogs but still don't know if I should take that chance. I also saw a huge coyote in my backfield yesterday eating something that I was worried it was one of my animals. I went out to the chicken pen scared thinking I would be missing one but all of them were there.

My neighbor lost a miniature Schnauzer about a year ago to a coyote. She let it out her back door one evening to do it's business with an outside light on and a coyote snatched it. The coyote didn't kill it but injured it so bad it died the next day. I see coyotes almost every day on my game cameras.
DSCF0001tues 03.jpg

I have seen this one a lot. It was running around on 3 legs. It injured it's front left leg by it's foot but is walking on it now. I think it broke it and it didn't heal properly.
DSCF0006818 03.jpg

How old is or was your cat, and is he a him or a she? A non-fixed tom cat in about the 12 month or older range may be on maneuvers and it may be days, weeks, months, or even years before he checks back in with the old folks at home. That said, GHO, eagles, and some hawks are deadly predators of felions. I also doubt that a LSGD would go easy on any cat that crossed his path. At least not any cat that the dog was unfamiliar with.

My Shiba Inu loved our house tabby and the cat often slep on top of the dog, but when the dog escaped the house or slipped his collar when on a walk, I only had to drive around the neighborhood looking for a cat up a tree to find my dog.

Sad update. I found my cat with the help of one my dogs, she picked up a scent and all her hair raised up, she knew something was wrong, I followed her to his body. It looks like the coyotes just killed him to kill something. He had a small hole in his side and one piece of entrail was pulled out (hope that isn't too graphic). I am very sad he was killed for fun (or whatever), but I am glad he was not eaten because now I can give him a proper burial and know what happened. But, needless to say, I feel like going to WAR!!!
somad.gif
I just wanted to thank everyone who replied...thanks so much!
I know what you mean when you say you feel like going to war. We live on a farm in southern Colorado and there were two feral cats here when we moved in and I take care of them and I build them a safe house to sleep in but they still won’t let me come near them even so though, I got super attached to them and we came home yesterday to find blood and fur on our front porch. There are blood splatters on the side of the house that indicates a coyote most likely got one of the cats and shook it meaning that I doubt it survived. I can’t find any remains anywhere so I’m still holding onto the hope that it was a terrible fight but he is still alive. It’s probably wishful thinking but all day I’ve had this rage inside of me I can’t believe that a coyote would come onto our front porch to kill a cat! I’m taking new precautions with the remaining feral cat such as only doing the feedings during the day and putting up some red LED lights that blink in certain places to keep the coyotes away. I’ve decided that I am going to hunt down the alpha of the pack since it was most likely him who did it. I read a study that said if your cat is attacked by the alpha there’s an 86% chance it will not survive but If it is by any non-alpha member of the pack there is only a 34% chance that your cat will not survive.

I know what you mean when you say you feel like going to war. We live on a farm in southern Colorado and there were two feral cats here when we moved in and I take care of them and I build them a safe house to sleep in but they still won’t let me come near them even so though, I got super attached to them and we came home yesterday to find blood and fur on our front porch. There are blood splatters on the side of the house that indicates a coyote most likely got one of the cats and shook it meaning that I doubt it survived. I can’t find any remains anywhere so I’m still holding onto the hope that it was a terrible fight but he is still alive. It’s probably wishful thinking but all day I’ve had this rage inside of me I can’t believe that a coyote would come onto our front porch to kill a cat! I’m taking new precautions with the remaining feral cat such as only doing the feedings during the day and putting up some red LED lights that blink in certain places to keep the coyotes away. I’ve decided that I am going to hunt down the alpha of the pack since it was most likely him who did it. I read a study that said if your cat is attacked by the alpha there’s an 86% chance it will not survive but If it is by any non-alpha member of the pack there is only a 34% chance that your cat will not survive.
this post was in 2018. Sorry about your cat.

Sorry about your cat and coyotes will indeed eat them if they get a chance....

They will take their prey somewhere out of sight they deem safe to eat it sometimes quite a distance with prey that is not heavy....
Quote:

ep.gif

For a long while coyotes have been few and far between, usually passing through without much ado. This has kind of been an eye opener. I'm lucky in that I have a I do have some guns and have a little practice shooting range and live next to Game Lands and coyotes I think are open all year. I live in PA on the border of NY so I do notice some differences in law. Maybe since your neighbor found part of his cat, I may too. Thank you for your kind words about my cat.
Oh I’m sad about my own cat, not sure if the little jaw and some fur are His. I wonder if a vet can tell me age and if it even was a cat. Might bring some consolation.

Back
Top Bottom