Coyotes

Here coyotes can legally be killed. We deal with their presence all the time, and I don’t really find any endearing qualities to them. If anyone has ever seen a sheep or calf killed Ky then it isn’t a pretty sight.
Dog breeds like Great Pyrenees or Anatolian Shepherds can deter, but they have to be fenced in real good or they will roam, especially the Pyrs.
Coyotes frequently come close to our house and they often wake my wife up howling close by at night. She hollers out the window at them, and sometimes an hour later they are at it again. Here they are adapting to run in packs and show little fear

Luckily theres a great Pyrenees centered rescue in my Atlanta area! Are GPs from rescues any good are are purebred pups better
In my experience with them I have always been advised to get a young pup from working stock and raise them with the animals they are to bond with. Poultry may require some additional supervision so they won’t chase the birds.
Mine were affectionate pets as well as working dogs. Sometimes some can be wary of or aggressive towards strangers.

Don't care if they know. It's legal in my area. If one chooses to SSS, great. If one chooses to live let live, great. There the ones that have to live with the losses, not me. I've free ranging without incident. Is it because I shoot everything that is a threat, or am I just lucky?
I would say a little of both!Lol

We have coyotes here, and enjoy their singing at night. In thirty years having chickens, never had losses to them. Our big dogs are fenced near the coop, which might be a deterrent, and the coyotes stay away from our house and outbuildings. Neighbors do shoot them, another probable reason they don't approach our buildings.
When we had foals, the mare and babies came up to the barn area every night. Horses will protect foals, at least, another help.
Glad we don't have wolves!
Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom