Coyotes!!!!

rhody josephine

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
I had my first loss this morning. Coyotes got two of my hens in the middle of the morning, about 11:00 AM. The girls were free ranging, we were all home, people in and out of the house, and yet, the coyotes came within 10 feet of my back door to grab the hens!! I'm freaking out about the boldness of the coyotes!! My son in law heard the racket and looked outside and saw 4 coyotes in the backyard. By the time my husband grabbed the gun, (we keep it locked up in a safe because we have children in the house), they were gone. We rounded up and found 10 of our 12 hens and put them back in the coop and run area.
What's the best way to handle this? The coyotes will be back for more, I'm sure. Is this bizarre behaviour? I'm concerned about my 7 year old granddaughter and my little Cairn Terrier now!!

Habituated coyotes become very brazen. Here in NJ on the shore a couple of years ago there were several instances where coyotes grabed small children. No one was killed. These were not rabid animals. They regarded the children as food. I would be very cautious until these animals have been killed. Shooting at least one generally serves to educate the rest. Good luck at resolving this scarey situation.

Quote:
I would be also. Obviously, you need to keep an eye on your grandchild and not let her play alone outside. The dog could definitely be a target. A tactic used by coyotes to grab small dogs is for one animal to show itself, and to entice the dog to give chase. The target coyote then leads the unsuspecting dog straight into the jaws of the waiting pack. Watch your dog carefully, especially at night.

They're all back in the run again...should I let them out again??? Only when I'm right there maybe??

DON'T LET THEM OUT!! This is how it started for me. My girls had free ranged for 8 months...no problems. We never let them out when we weren't home and working outside. First time it happened there were very few feathers but Ruby was just gone when I went to put them away. Next day I let them out two were taken and a close call on the third right next to the house. We live in a rural area and saw them leave the second time but my husband couldn't get off a shot. I left them locked up for a week and then thought I would let them out and really watch them good...nope lost my fourth and final hen. They aren't allowed out any more. Once the coyotes find your girls they keep an eye on your place.

Yes, I would be concerned for any little ones younger than four years old. I'm sorry.

Thanks Pebbles....:hitWow...Wiley Coyotes indeed...this whole thing has just gotten me so upset. The girls had been so happy. My instinct tells me the coyotes will be watching and waiting now....
hide.gif

It's so hard to not let them out anymore. The first year and a half I had the girls I was scared to death to let them out for fear they would run away. Then when I learned how easy it was and they just put themselves in the coop it was great. It felt so good to see my girls happily pecking through the garden and horse stalls. Now to have them locked up again just breaks my heart. What I have done about once a week now is about 15 minutes before the girls start going into their coop in the evening (sun down) I let them out and stand right with them. They don't go far and I have no problem standing guard for 15 to 30 minutes so they can go out.

I have the coyotes move in onto my free range poultry at this time every year. Must be time when they are short of wild critters to eat....So if you want to save your poultry,please lock them up ! And if so inclined to hunt coyotes,leave the birds indoors for a couple days. Then turn them into their safe run & watch with gun ready. Most often the coyote will be back even bolder as he had gotten lunch here recently & can't figure out why his lunch disappeared so really searching for the birds. Then I really hope you have good aim !
Sorry about the loss of your bird. The coyotes wiped out a bunch of my birds in the past faster than I realized what was happening.

I'm going through the same thing as Pebbles! I lost my first one (my rooster Mick) 2 nights ago. The next day I let them out again, with the intention of getting them all back in early, way before dusk. Well, easier said than done. I finally got them all in safe and decided that today they could just stay in the run. I didn't want to chance it again. I missed them so much, seeing them pecking around everywhere. But, I just can't bare the thought of loosing another one. I only lost that one, and thought if I keep them all in for a week or two, the lure of an easy meal not presenting itself, might get the predators to move on. I'm hoping...in the meantime, I'm going to be taking shots at them if I get a chance. (the coyotes, not my chickens!) lol

My instinct tells me the coyotes will be watching and waiting now

I can feel them watching from the wood line! I walk down it saying loudly, "Boy I sure miss my rooster Mick! I'm gonna kill the SOB that got him!!" ...and some other stuff, not really suitable for this forum. Hmmm... just realized, I hope nobody else is out in those woods that can hear me...lol.​

Back
Top Bottom