Crabby old hen

menypets

In the Brooder
May 16, 2020
I have an 8 year old hen, She has been alone for 2 years. I purchased 4 chicks mid may. I have kept them separate in the same coop with fencing and would like to release together in the same coop. The old hen chases them at large and attacks them when they try to get food. Any suggestions? Do I let them work it out when it gets cooler? (in the 90's +) TIA

If Miss Crabby isn't drawing blood, I would try to let them work it out. I would add multiple feed and water stations, make sure you have obstacles for the chicks to hide behind, and escape routes so they can't be cornered by the adult. Sometimes a lone hen can be stubbornly slow to accept newbies, but she should mellow out in time. Good luck. :)

5 weeks is plenty of time for her to see-not-touch them, so now you need to look at your set up and ask yourself, is there enough clutter to providing hiding spots? Putting out multiple food sources with clutter in the way can also help if she's trying to guard food, as she can't guard multiple spots, nor guard what she can't see.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Back
Top Bottom