Crack in Beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FalcoSparverius, Sep 19, 2009.

1. FalcoSparverius

FalcoSparverius Wants a Custom Title

Jul 18, 2009
    My ameraucana Nasuada got her beak stuck in the chicken wire. Now it's cracked in a spot. That day she wouldn't eat, but now she is. Will the crack always be there? Or will it fuse together again?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sorry...can't help. But at least she's back to eating and drinking. [​IMG] That has to be a HUGE relief...

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Beaks are like nails, they hurt like heck when broken into the quick, can bleed alot, and if real deep, can hit the bone. That said, if she's eating now, and it's just a crack, it'll grow out in a few months no problem.

4. Quillgirl

Quillgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    Metro Atlanta
    Just recently had another post like this about 2-3 days ago. If you want to fix it, use super glue. Clean the cracked area with alcohol, touch tip of superglue to area so that it seeps into the crack. Be sparing so that it doesn't glue the beak together or get into her nose.

It's like fixing a nail at a nail salon.

5. FalcoSparverius

FalcoSparverius Wants a Custom Title

Jul 18, 2009
    Totally a relief that she's eating again. It did bleed a lot. But now she seems fine, and is back to her normal self, pecking and bossing the other chickens! I don't think she'll need the superglue remedy.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] Ask not why the chicken crossed the road, but why the road got in the way of the chicken. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by