Cracked beak????? Help

Gosh, thanks for all the ideas. My husband has been wanting to trim and I just wanted to see what everyone else thought. I think we may trim and then try the nail repair patches. I didn't want to use superglue because of the toxicity and also if it did come apart again then there would be a line of super glue to really prevent it coming together. These chickens are only 7 months old and these two just peck at everything. Windows, glass doors, etc. Think they just peck on too many hard things. They are in extremely good health. I only have two that do this and they are the ones with the split beaks. We let them free range and don't feed them food with antibiotics or growth hormones. Will let you know how this works out.
Thanks again

I spent 20yrs as a vet tech.
Skin glue is Super Glue with a purple coloring added so it's easier to see on skin. Believe me doctors are very good at gluing themselves to things even with the purple dye.

Donna

Quote:
Now, that's funny!
big_smile.png

Quote:
...sorry that is not correct:
http://www.fensende.com/Users/swnymph/refs/glue.html
"....History and development:

In 1959, a variety of cyanoacrylate adhesives were developed, some types of which are now used for surgical purposes in Canada and Europe. These glues polymerize on contact with basic substances such as water or blood to form a strong bond. The first glue developed was methyl cyanoacrylate, which was studied extensively for its potential medical applications and was rejected due to its potential tissue toxicity such as inflammation or local foreign body reactions. Methyl alcohol has a short molecular chain which contributes to these complications.

Further research revealed that by changing the type of alcohol in the compound to one with a longer molecular chain, the tissue toxicity was much reduced. All the medical grade tissue adhesives currently available for human use contain butyl-esters, which are costlier to produce.

In 1964, the Tennessee Eastman lab submitted its first application for new drug approval to the FDA. The military learned of this new glue and became extremely interested in its potential for use in field hospitals. MASH units in Vietnam were overloaded. Many solders were dying from chest and abdominal wounds, despite the best efforts of medics. In 1966 a special surgical team was flown to Vietnam, trained and equipped to use cyanoacrylate adhesive. A quick spray over the wounds stopped bleeding and bought time until conventional surgery could be performed. The possibilities were immediately seized by the medical communities of Europe and the Far East. Meanwhile the FDA changed standards and kept requesting additional data until Eastman was reluctantly forced to withdraw his application. (Jueneman, 1981)

Histoacryl Blue (n-butyl cyanoacrylate) has been used extensively in Europe since the 1970s for a variety of surgical applications including middle ear surgery, bone and cartilage grafts, repair of cerebrospinal fluid leaks, and skin closure. It has been available in Canada through Davis & Geck Canada, with no adverse effects reported to date. Further, laboratory studies have been done which concluded that it has no carcinogenic potential. Tissue toxicity has only been noted when the adhesive is introduced deep in highly vascular areas (the perineum qualifies). ...................

Current use:
Although not labeled as such, over-the-counter Super Glue products contain methyl alcohol, because it is inexpensive to produce. Cyanoacrylates cure by a chemical reaction called polymerization, which produces heat. Methyl alcohol has a pronounced heating action when it contacts tissue and may even produce burns if the glue contacts a large enough area of tissue. Rapid curing may also lead to tissue necrosis. Midwives have not noted such reactions because minimal amounts are being used for perineal repair. Nevertheless, with a greater toxic potential, over-the-counter products are inappropriate for use in wound closure. (Quinn & Kissick, 1994)
Medical grade products currently available contain either butyl, isobutyl or octyl esters. They are bacteriostatic and painless to apply when used as directed, produce minimal thermal reaction when applied to dry skin and break down harmlessly in tissue. They are essentially inert once dry. Butyl products are rigid when dry, but provide a strong bond. Available octyl products are more flexible when dry, but produce a weaker bond..........."

Well after the trimming of beaks they are looking much better. The splits were causing the beak to flare apart. We didn't use any glue or anything but the trim took care of the beak and even though they are still split they are not pulling apart. Thanks so much to everyone who responded.
I just got in some new baby chicks yesterday Red Star and Black Star. They are simply adorable and the rooster has an orange head. I have never seen feathers that orange. They look like they have been dyed orange.

Back
Top Bottom