cracked beak

andrej33

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
i have a five month old hen that broke her beak. It is not fully off. But about 1/2 to 3/4. The vet is not open now. No bleeding. Any suggestions? Will a beak grow? I know it does on my cockatoo. I gave her some water in a deep dish and made a gruel out of her layer and she is able to eat that.
Thanks,

Andre

I've seen other posts on here about chickens with broken beaks in various areas, and the outcome is usually good. While you're waiting for responses, try searching this site for "broken beak'. I'll search too and update this when I find something helpful.
Here is some information on broken and cracked beaks that may be of help to you. http://www.avianweb.com/brokenbeaks.html Hope this helps.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
We took her to the vet this morning and found out that it was only the outside layer of the beak that had been broken. Then vet took a dremel to it and finished taking off the outside layer. He says she will be fine. My problem now is that i have 3 chickens that are pecking at her and she can not defend herself because her beak is sore (I think anyway) So i have separated her from the others for now. So I do have three, and particularly 1 bully in the flock. I will search the threads for info on that.

Last edited:
I had the exact same thing happen to me at the beginning of the year! It was on one of my white wyandotte bantam roos. I kept him in a dog crate till he acted like it wasn't sore anymore and I actually just showed him at the fair yesterday. Just keep her comfortable and keep her away from the meanies! It should get better in a couple days.
smile.png

One of my roosters almost tore his beak off one time and you can't tell he was ever hurt now. The top part of his beak bled and was peeled up from the base about half-way for a little over a month and it healed right back where it was supposed to. I didn't even have to try to doctor him.
smile.png
How it heals depends on how big the tear is, which way it tore from, and if it's just a tear or if part of the beak is actually missing.

Back
Top Bottom