Cracked corn

BowCHICKawowwow2

Chirping
Aug 5, 2020
Upstate NY
My father grew up on a farm and said in very cold weather they would give poultry cracked corn in the morning and night because it helps keep them warmer? Anyone ever hear of this? We are having a cold front of 0 degree farenheit temps this week. The coop has no drafts but it does have the vents at the top. I also have an infrared heater but it doesn't heat the coop, it will only warm them up if they stand by it. Will the chickens be ok? They still seem to be going in and out of the coop.
Thank you for your help.

They will be fine with or without the corn.
I have also heard this. Some people believe it and other don't.
I use it as a treat in the mornings on cold days to get them to move around more and scratch around.
Either way, they will LOVE the extra treat. Not too much, just a treat.

My father grew up on a farm and said in very cold weather they would give poultry cracked corn in the morning and night because it helps keep them warmer? Anyone ever hear of this? We are having a cold front of 0 degree farenheit temps this week. The coop has no drafts but it does have the vents at the top. I also have an infrared heater but it doesn't heat the coop, it will only warm them up if they stand by it. Will the chickens be ok? They still seem to be going in and out of the coop.
Thank you for your help.
Gets real cold at night here. But the chickens handle it well. I feed them high protein chicken feed regularly. on a lighter note, my brother Jimmy feeds cracked corn, but I don’t care!

Back
Top Bottom